slow wifi is it just me?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by goldenlotus, Dec 27, 2007.

1. goldenlotus macrumors regular

I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with my touch or if it this way for everybody. When browsing the net on my touch, pages load about half as fast as the same pages viewed on my MacBook. This makes me think that something makes the touch inherently slower.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or do you not notice any speed difference?

2. dagored macrumors 65816

Lets see. Is your MacBook wireless or plugged into your network? That would show a difference and the processor in the Touch is not as fast as your MacBook.

I'm amazed that it works as well as it does out in the world.

3. goldenlotus thread starter macrumors regular

the MacBook is using a wireless connection. I didn't realize the processor played such a large role when browsing the web.

4. goldenlotus thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else? How fast do pages load when using your wifi connection?

5. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

More specifically, rendering web pages requires an amount of processing power, not the network traffic transfer itself. Yes the iPod touch may seem slow, but relative to the onboard processor its doing pretty well.

Try this: on your iPod touch, go into Settings, Safari and turn JavaScript OFF.
    Now try surfing to those same web pages and see if you notice any difference.

6. franzmueller macrumors regular

Lets see , I have a iBook G4 1,2 Ghz and both use my airport wifi and depending on the web page i want to load the ipt can take twice the time , i think it needs quite a bit of time for the rendering . still ,for me works fast enough for such a device .

Saludos

7. goldenlotus thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I turned off javascript and it does seem to make the pages load a bit faster.

I wonder how long till we see a touch with a slightly better processor. I've been spoiled by my Mac Pro and ethernet connection. Browsing on the touch reminds me of the days when I used a dial up connection. Not quite as slow but still.

Not complaining, just thought it would be a little faster.