Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sub-o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Ireland
Hi Guys, I need some advice. Our 16GB WiFi iPad, bought from Apple as a refurb, is just REALLY slow at downloading over our WiFi connection. It's not balzingly fast, 2MB down. But reliable and unconjested. Our router is a "g" class, not "n". Last night my wife was trying to watch a You Tube video posted on Facebook. It was taking ages. So I handed her my MacBook and she was able to watch it straight away. This problem has been persisting since we purchased it, but last night REALLY brought home that this was a problem. Any help?

Sub-o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Ireland
My iPhone isn't incredibly fast on our router, but seems a lot faster on our work "n" router. That's why I was wondering was this the issue.

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Hi Guys, I need some advice. Our 16GB WiFi iPad, bought from Apple as a refurb, is just REALLY slow at downloading over our WiFi connection. It's not balzingly fast, 2MB down. But reliable and unconjested. Our router is a "g" class, not "n". Last night my wife was trying to watch a You Tube video posted on Facebook. It was taking ages. So I handed her my MacBook and she was able to watch it straight away. This problem has been persisting since we purchased it, but last night REALLY brought home that this was a problem. Any help?

while you may have some slower wi-fi issues, it's really not uncommon for YouTube to be ridiculously slow on the iPad.

Try the same video from m.youtube.com through safari and see if there is a difference in speed between it and the youtube app.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Speedtest.net app on my ipad1 shows download rates at about ~95% of my internet provider's stated max up/down speeds.

On the campus wifi (grad program) I've seen as high as 22Mbps down, 12.99Mbps up using the same app.

Check that your router's firmware is up to date; I've seen reports of that causing issues.

Wozza2010

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010

Upgrade to 4.3.

4.2.1 had a wifi bug for many people.

Sub-o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Ireland
Hopefully, iOS 4.3 will do the trick. My iPhone is updated, I'm REALLY enjoying the Personal Hotspot. Especially as my carrier doesn't charge anything extra and has included unlimited data as a freebie! My router's firmware is up to date, so here's hoping 4.3 is the answer.......
I'll try it later as the iPad is away for the day!

Sub-o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Ireland
Thanks guys, first try suggests 4.3 has done the trick. Side by side comparison vs MacBook Pro on embedded YouTube in Facebook looks good. Just as quick.

bigcabdaddy

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
I'd love it if I were getting 2Mps down! Heck, I'd be thrilled with the 1Mps I was getting at Starbucks. As it is, I only average around 600Kbps at home making all streaming nigh impossible. And yes, I've checked firmware, done resets, etc. Curiously, my up speed is very fast... Like 2-4Mbps. Does that help shed any light?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.