Slow WiFi on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rygher3, Dec 19, 2011.

1. rygher3 macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro and the router(about 10ft away) is a WRT54G-TM with Tomato as the firmware. I have tested basically my whole apartment with the same results throughout.

I am experiencing very slow wifi with the MBP(~1.6-2.5Mbps). Meanwhile, on the same network, my iPhone is getting ~16Mbps. I also get the ~16Mbps with a wired connection on the MBP, so it seems as though it is just an issue with its wifi. I have tried changing various settings to fix this, but cannot figure out the issue. Attached are what is showing up for me with the wifi. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Frank (Atlanta), Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Hi. By chance, is your MBP in clamshell mode?

My 2010 MBP's wireless performance degrades in clamshell due to the orientation of the antenna - it was confirmed by Apple Support.

So, if you're in clamshell, you want to either use a wired conx or open the lid of the MBP if you're going wireless (and,I assume, turn off the display on the MBP).

Not sure if this is your situation, hope this helps.

Frank

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Well your transmit rate is shocking, but your RSSI looks ok at -66. On a G network I have 54 for transmit rate and on my N network I normally have 300 for transmit rate. The RSSI figure shows that you're getting a decent signal so that's not the issue. I was having some odd issues wifi issues with my mini this weekend. It wouldn't connect and then I was getting poor transmit rates like you at around 4. I removed my network from the preferred list and restarted the router and also the computer itself and connected to the network again. I had to do this a couple of times, but after 30 minutes things went back to normal and everything was fine. It's difficult to explain what the hell is going on with wifi sometimes.

I would try to do what I did, but I would also look to get yourself a N router if that doesn't help.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A decent N

Router (Gigabit) should help as posted above....Transmit 2???? Holy ***** I'd die waiting:eek:

5. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Try using OpenDNS...it has solved wifi issues for many people

6. theipadkid macrumors newbie

7. rygher3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly, this is not the case. This is with it open, and with various positions throughout the apartment.

I have tried this several times and to no avail.

At least I wasn't used to good internet before this, so it doesn't feel terrible.

I have tried that as well. I still can't even manage to get 3Mbps on the MBP. The iPhone continues to get between 16 and 18Mbps.

With it performing just fine with an ethernet connection and wifi with my iPhone, that is not the issue.

I'm really just wanting to resolve this, but I'm thinking a wireless N router might be necessary. The fact that my iPhone gets a perfect connection while my MBP is terrible does make me wonder how effective that would even be though.

8. theipadkid macrumors newbie

evver thought of taking it to the apple store for diagnosis