Slow wifi on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hetalia, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Hetalia macrumors member

Hetalia

My MBP is fairly new not even a month old yet. Yet it seems that my wifi is slow on it. The pages load really slow and it takes a long time for images to download on a page. I use Verizon internet which has a built in outer from my computer. EvenI really don't think it is I keep my mac clean with a virus protector. Anything else I could run program wise. Maybe it spyware or ADware I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. Sorry if this is a dumb question please excuse me as this is my first Mac.

2. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

3. lightz39 macrumors regular

If your bluetooth is on and you are connected to 2.4ghz you will have interference. Connect to 5ghz.

4. Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

Ok how do I run a internet speed test. I am running the internet off a PC Do I do it on the PC or the MBP? And bluetooth is currently off. Should I have it on?

5. Just A Box macrumors newbie

If I may, I'll piggyback (certainly no intent to hijack) on the OP's statement, as I just logged on in order to research this exact issue.

I just verified my cable modem and wireless router are working properly, yet on two 6 month old Macbook Pro's (15" and 13", respectively), wifi is pathetically slow (we're talking 1-2 Mb/s, where via ethernet I'm getting around 22 Mb/s). I'm about 8 feet from the router. I also have Win 7 via Bootcamp on the 15" and have the same results. Two laptops purchased together, same issue? I have to assume it's and update-related thing. Bluetooth has no effect on the results, as well.

My two and a half year old Dell Inspiron is pulling around 22 Mb/s wirelessly, no issue. Same with the two iPhones, and the 27" iMac I'm typing on at present.

Nothing like sitting on $4k worth of laptops that can't even pull 2 Mb/s from a wireless-N 24 Mb connection. Hope we can figure this one out soon. I'd hate to have to set up an appointment with the Genius Squad.

----------

Also, I have yet to attempt to connect to another wireless router and re-test. I have little confidence it will have any*effect, yet I'm sure someone will, invariably, ask.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?
    www.speedtest.net
    Run the test on the computer that's experiencing slow performance.
    Bluetooth has no effect on your internet speed.