Slow WiFi on Mid-2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by craigy2302, Sep 22, 2010.

1. craigy2302 macrumors member

Hi,

I have had my 15" i7 MBP for around a week now, and a handful of times (3 times last night) it just decided it doesnt want to connect to the internet.

The WiFi Signal still says its connected full, and other laptops don't have an issue (not even my old 13" MacBook).

I have tried changing the DNS to OpenDns and to Google's DNS but with no luck. The problem is intermittent, and it will be fine for a day, then it will just decide it doesn't want to work.

Because of this, I dont think it could be a hardware issue, because nothing changes between it not working and working (it's not moved or anything), but I might be wrong ;-)

Does anybody have any ideas?

Craig

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Hi Craig,

Check out my post on this thread. This may/may-not help.

3. moel macrumors 6502

I was having similar issues, in that my mbp wouldn't always load pages first go, or images would be missing.

Forget the google and open dns servers.

Log onto your router and see what DNS it is using from your isp. Use THAT as your dns server on your macbook, and it *should* cure it.

4. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

What router are you using? If it's an Apple one check out this e-Book. I bought it and after going through it I was able to double the throughput between airport express and my 17 i7 mbp.

http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/airport-n

5. nwbusa macrumors regular

Experienced this exact problem -- our 2 MPBs would lose wifi connection to our non-Apple router (although the computers still indicated a full-strength connection), while other computers in our house, including a MacBook, worked fine. After trying a *lot* of different fixes, my "solution" was to replace the non-Apple router with an Airport Extreme, which entirely fixed the problem.

6. moel macrumors 6502

OP isn't experiencing signal drop out tho.

7. nwbusa macrumors regular

Hmmm, that's not the way I read it... maybe I'm mistaken, though.

8. moel macrumors 6502

Nwbusa

Really? How else would you interpret the above?

Slow loading of webpages, but airport signal is full...not the same problem that you experienced. But every little helps.

9. craigy2302 thread starter macrumors member

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to have a go either tonight or tomorrow with some of them :)

I do have a Netgear router, so trying the link that bigjobby posted seams to fit the issues I am having.

Just a PITA that it doesn't "work out of the box" like Apple says, and would really annoy some first-timers.

I'll keep you all informed of how it goes, or doesn't go :p

Thanks,
    Craig

10. moel macrumors 6502

Craig I agree, it seems that the issue is either with 10.6.4, or something has changed in the wireless chipset they've started using

11. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Mine goes slow as well on wifi, while the PC in another room works perfectly... I have to keep playing with DNS entering and deleting different ones to get it to work ok again, but that seems to last about a month since I had to do this last time. I don't lose the signal though on my 13" like some of you are, just slow browsing and streaming. I think these computers just kinda suck on wifi, I mean why else would my pc work perfectly and load hd streaming on the same wifi signal.

12. craigy2302 thread starter macrumors member

I'm back bearing bad news. I have tried what was suggested, and I have just experienced the problem. I jumped straight into console to see if there was anything there, and I see an entry that seams to coincide with each time its happened.

I don't know if its related, but the error looks serious.
    [​IMG]

Just a shame that the nearest Apple Store is 50+ miles away :mad:

Craig

13. moel macrumors 6502

It's ok :)

I've just done a bit of research for you!

It would seem that 'serious' error message, just means os x has fouled up it's network assignments (i.e it think en1 is en2 and en0 is en1, so it thinks it has 2 airport cards and can't make the correct hardware call)

Ditch the NetworkPreferences.plist and/or com.apple.airportPreferences.plist files which sit in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Restart, OS X will recreate them by polling the devices and hey presto :) You'll be up and running again!

14. craigy2302 thread starter macrumors member

It looked serious lol :)

I only have the com.apple.airport.preferences.plist (I guess its the same) so I have removed that (backed it up as well).

Hopefully that will fix it :)

Thanks
    Craig

15. craigy2302 thread starter macrumors member

Hello again,

I was looking in system profiler to see if I could see anything weird there, and I see this:

[​IMG]

I have done a search on Google, and found that it could be caused by cloning HDD's. I am wondering if there could be a problem with the stock install and if this could cause me the problems I am experiencing?

Edit I have asked around my mates who also have a 2010 mbp and they have the same items listed as me, even a few mates with older macs have the same but just with a different number. However, after deleting the files that moel suggested I am yet *touch wood* to experience the issue.

Craig

16. moel macrumors 6502

Glad to be of help :)

I too have those items on my i7 mbp So it's nothing to worry about!

Good job I know my wifi and Macs :) (even tho Miles doesn't seem to think so)

Anyway Enjoy!

17. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Thanks to the OP for all the updates. Good stuff guys... I've learnt something! :D

18. craigy2302 thread starter macrumors member

I'm back again.

My MacBook has just thrown another temper tantrum and thrown me off the internet again.

I am going to be phoning Apple tomorrow, I spent £1,600 on my MacBook and I don't think I should have to fix problems within the first week of having it. Sorry if this sounds harsh or anything, but I have tried everything suggested, and I just can't be doing with it.

Thanks for all your help though,
    Craig

19. moel macrumors 6502

Nuke and pave maybe?

But yeah...i'm sure the (does Lincoln have an Apple store?) will replace it for you.

20. craigy2302 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, could try a re-install.

Apple told me trash the whole System Config folder and see if that helps.

It's only been happening since the 20th, and I have had it since the 14th. I wonder if it could be more software based, something conflicting or something?

Edit Nope Lincoln doesn't have one, I believe the nearest one is Milton-Keynes or Sheffield, and with me being in Boston, its a fair way to go.

Craig

21. moel macrumors 6502

Ah...so it only happened a week in.

I would definitely reformat and start again then!

(Also your local Apple store, is my local Apple store...Leicester)

22. craigy2302 thread starter macrumors member

That's my night sorted tonight then :p Going to do that, update it all, install adobe CS5 and firefox so I can at least use it (Nither of them should cause issues).

I am trying to think what I installed around that day, but I can't remember >.<

Ah! Thanks Moel.

23. craigy2302 thread starter macrumors member

Hey,

I have just finished my format/re-install. Not installed any additional software, and I had the ACInterfaceGetPower called with NULL interface entry waiting for me.

So this definatly is now hardware issue?