Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willie Heckaslyke

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
Hi all

Just got a new mac air and I've noticed the Wifi is noticeably slow, both internally and externally (browsing etc). I've just done a speed test and I'm only getting about half of what I'm getting on my phone!

If I copy a file off my NAS it's also slow. On my windows PC, the dialogue box that pops up when initiating a file transfer, will also show you the current transfer speed. Is there a way to show this info on a mac also?

Thanks

Willie Heckaslyke

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
That's quote low then, unless you are at the edge of reception to the router. With your PC near the same location what is its rate? 144 Mbps is roughly 13 MB/sec max after overhead.

Hi - thanks for that Option-click tip. I noticed it was connected to my router's wifi, about 12ft away from my position - but also from where I ran the speed test on my phone.

I've got some Wifi Extender's around the house that I use and for some reason the laptop chose my router's wifi instead. I've switched to the extender's SSID and I'm getting good speeds now. I've also set it to the prefered SSID....thanks again ?

Btw... is there a way to see your file transfer speeds on a Mac??

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Hi - thanks for that Option-click tip. I noticed it was connected to my router's wifi, about 12ft away from my position - but also from where I ran the speed test on my phone.

I've got some Wifi Extender's around the house that I use and for some reason the laptop chose my router's wifi instead. I've switched to the extender's SSID and I'm getting good speeds now. I've also set it to the prefered SSID....thanks again ?

Btw... is there a way to see your file transfer speeds on a Mac??

In Finder it will only show how much has been copied and how much is left. If you use a third party application such as Transmit, CyberDuck (free), FileZilla (free), etc it will show the actual transfer speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.