Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counted Out

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
So around my house, even right next to my wireless router, I have a pretty slow WiFi speed - normally my downloads are under 20kbs a second (I have a hard time even watching YouTube videos). When I plug my laptop into an ethernet port, it greatly increases and I sometimes see speeds above 100kbs. I'm using a really cheap router, but I've used other routers with the same results.

I was browsing around and found this:
http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-blazing-fast-internet-speed-dual-band-wifi/

I don't understand much of it, but I'm willing to look more into if if you guys think it will be something that will solve my problem.

Thank you.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
If it's only happening at certain times, then it's most likely that you've got external influences, such as overlapping wifi channels from your neighbors.
I'd use an application such as AirGrab to see what other networks are overlapping yours and make the appropriate changes.

Counted Out

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Try changing channels on your router.
I don't think my router has that option. Where would I check?

Here is a picture of how my network works, I drew it when I was having iPhone problems, but you can atleast see the network. And ignore the line going from the PC to the MODEM, it's supposed to be going to the router.

networkz.jpg

Counted Out

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
If it's only happening at certain times, then it's most likely that you've got external influences, such as overlapping wifi channels from your neighbors.
I'd use an application such as AirGrab to see what other networks are overlapping yours and make the appropriate changes.
That got me this:
screencaptureewc.png

I'm not sure how to interpret that.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I'm not sure how to interpret that.

It shows you are running channel 1, which is efficient for you because the other networks are on channel 6 and 9 (not sure what that person is doing).

Your Signal to Noise Ratio is acceptable.

The scariest part of it is that you aren't using any encryption so perhaps someone is piggybacking on your network at night.

Also if your N router is dual-band, then yes switching it to 5 Ghz should help signal and speed.

Check your owner´s manual on how to set up the 5 Ghz, and also add encryption to your WiFi.
http://www.buffalotech.com/support/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.