Slow Wifi speeds when I leave the room

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, May 26, 2017.

1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

I recently moved. Brought all of my equipment (Arris modem and Apple Airport Time Capsule) to the new house. Service is Comcast Blast at both locations. I used to see Wifi download speeds in the 215-235 Mbps range at the other house. It didn't matter what room I was in. I'd also see the same speeds when I tested it on my TV. At the new house I see good speeds (215+) in the same room as the Time Capsule but that drops down to 20-40 in other parts of the house. Any idea why it was fast anywhere in the house at one location but not at the other. I've seen slow results on my iPad too. Any idea why?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Different building materials/layout or some other potential interference that might be affecting things?

3. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought that but neither house is anything special. Normal wood and sheetrock construction. I'm going to try moving the Time Capsule. It was behind my monitor on the left side of my desk at the other house. I have it behind my tv on the right side of my desk here. Probably not an issue but it's worth a try.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Distance from the router and objects in between will effect speed.
    You can try installing some of those wifi extenders.
    I have one in my place so I can connect to my wifi when outside in the back yard.

5. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

Are any of them better than the others? I'm looking at some on the Amazon site now.

6. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

When we moved into a new construction home I had to play with the channel for the 5GHz setting to get my devices to connect on ac instead of the slower connections. It's currently on 161. I'm able to leave the 2.5 GHz on auto. I now get 210-225 (also on Comcast Blast) even on the front poarch. Play around with it before you buy more equipment. Might save you some $.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced