Slow wifi Through time capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sturgeon boy, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Sturgeon boy macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

I've just had virgin broadband installed and on a speed test I'm getting 113 mbps but on a speed test of my wifi on my iPhone or the iPad I'm only getting 22-23 Mbps I'm not using the virgin wifi as I have an apple time capsule that broadcasts in 802.11ac is this as fast as it's going to get or can any improvement be made. the distance from the tc doesn't seem to make a difference as I've checked both close to it and downstairs from where its located.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What generation iPad and iPhone is this? Older models have older Wi-Fi standards that do not support the full speed of the new routers. Is the 113 Mbps speed test done off the Virgin hardware or the Time Capsule, or is that just the speed you pay for?

3. Sturgeon boy thread starter macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

the 113 was done on broadband speed checker I'm using a 3rd gen iPad an iPhone 5 ,5s and a 4s

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

On my iPhone 5s I got 68.50 Mbps download on my 115 Mbps package. I have a 6th generation AirPort Extreme.

5. Sturgeon boy thread starter macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

I've done a few tests now and the variation seems huge top reading was 79 the lowest being 22 so seems a bit strange

6. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

My wife's iPhone 5s can hit 100Mb/s, but my iphone 4 only get about 15Mb/s, both via the 6th Time Capsule (with 1000Mb/s boardband direct connection).

So, the device make a hugh difference. Also, Wi-Fi signal can be interfered, max read at 79 sounds very normal to me. 22 minimum may be poor signal due to walls, reflection, or interference, etc.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am thinking you need to assess that you are getting consistent throughput from the modem into the Time Capsule and that you are getting minimal interference.