Slow Wifi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scottgroovez, Aug 1, 2011.

1. scottgroovez macrumors regular

I hadn't really noticed it before, but the other day I was downloading a 45MB PDF and it stated it would take about 1 hour to download. Didn't think much of it and let it sit and download. Not sure the actual time, but it took a while.

Today I come upstairs and happen to want to view the same PDF on my windows machine and it downloaded in about 45 seconds!

This then made me question what on earth is up with my MBP that a 45MB file would take so much longer to download.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how I can fix/diagnose the problem?

2. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

it may not be your internet connection or Mac at fault, try running an online speed test on your internet connection e.g. speedtest.net It should give you a good indicator of your line speed. If its high it may be the web server hosting the PDF that was at fault (may have been busy etc)

3. simsaladimbamba

When on the MBP, hold down the OPTION/Alt key when clicking the AirPort/WiFi icon in the Menu Bar and report what it says after
    PHY Mode
    Channel
    Transmit Rate

Also tell us what exact MBP model you have and what Mac OS X version does run on it. And what router do you use? And what wifi-card do you have in the Windows PC?