slow wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr5878, Feb 10, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey all

i find wifi to be pretty slow. when on my uni's wireless with my mbp vs iphone, internet loads incredibly fast. on the iphone, pages load pretty slow is it a safari/hardware limitation problem, or should i have it looked at?

anyone want to shed some light?

thanks

2. mowenbrown macrumors newbie

Got my iPhone on Friday and wondered the same thing. Assumed it had to do with reformatting pages, but I am an idiot so don't take my work for it.

3. Nik macrumors 6502

The iPhone processor is too slow to render the website as fast as the MBP does.

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

true, don't even get me started on EDGE, it's pretty much worthless.

5. jonesy16 macrumors newbie

Yeah, talk about misleading advertising. The latest iphone commercials show web pages almost instantly appearing after clicking on links. Over wi-fi, it took me like 10 seconds to get the Google page to come up. I just got my iPhone last week and I have to say that while it's a vast improvement over my last phone, I'm disappointed.

6. liberty4all Guest

liberty4all

So return it, and wait for the 3G one...

7. jonesy16 macrumors newbie

And what, pray tell, does a 3G capable iPhone have to do with web browsing speeds from a wi-fi access point?

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My WiFi is pretty fast...

since I've got the AT&T DSL Pro 3.0, which is the top-of-the-line for AT&T at $34.99 per month. My speed average is between 941 kbps & 1375 kbps, while EDGE is about 200 kbps & 275 kbps. I hook up to WiFi at all the AT&T Hotspots and on our campus, because it's so fast in comparison to EDGE. :cool:

9. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Just because two devices can receive wifi doesn't mean that they can both process it at the same speed. Your MBP should blow away the iPhone, if it didn't there would be a problem.

10. mbedle macrumors newbie

Slow Wifi access on iPhone

When I purchase my iphone a couple of months ago the wifi access was extremely slow. Actually, it appeared that the wifi access was slower than the edge network. I talked with Apple a couple of times to try and get this fixed. What ultimately worked is I had to turn WEP security on. Since activating the security - the wifi access is as fast as on the desktop. Hope this helps for some other people having the same issues.

11. Weee macrumors newbie

How to turn WEP security on?