Slow Windows 7 Gaming

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MyDesktopBroke, Jun 26, 2009.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I installed Windows 7 RC 64bit on my 2.53 Unibody late 2008 Macbook Pro with 4gb or ram, and thought I would try a game or two on it. On the OS X side, it runs Halo UB flawlessly even on the 9400 at highest settings (except AA), but on the Windows 7 side I installed Command and Conquer: Generals, and it slows to a slide show when I add 3 or more computer players. Graphics settings have no apparent effect on performance. The game runs perfect in 1 vs 1 matches on high, and is unplayable in 5 player or higher matches at lowest. The game is from 2003, and the requirements are minuscule:

Hardware Requirements
    System: PIII 800 or equivalent
    RAM:128 MB RAM
    CD-ROM: 8X CD-ROM
    Video Memory: 32 MB VRAM
    Hard Drive Space: 1800 MB
    Mouse: Yes
    DirectX: DirectX v8.1

Recommended System Requirements
    System: Pentium 4 1.0 Ghz or equivalent
    RAM: 256 MB RAM
    3D Sound Card: Yes

I've run Windows Update, and downloaded all of them except the language packs and the tests updates. Gaming is not a priority for me, but I still want to know whats going with my computer.

2. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

It seems to be a networking issue? If the problem originates in the Windows 7 drivers, as more attention is focused on Windows 7 you should see an improvement. If it is coming from the game itself, perhaps some google searches might find a patch or workaround.

4. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I already downloaded those drivers for the 9600, from two different places. When I first got the computer, I ran windows update and downloaded the drivers that were shown there. After I noticed the poor performance, I want directly to the Nvidia site, and downloaded from there. The only difference I saw was that the game no longer stretched to fit the full screen, so now I play with a boxed view.

I also turned off Aero, and all of the windows 7 bells and whistles in the background, but it didn't help. A strange thing is that under XP, on my ancient Dell, I can run at low settings, but only notice slowdowns. On Windows 7, there is no slowdown, but instead there is breakup, like watching a slide show.

And good luck finding an update for the game. It's EA. They drop support, like, a month after release.

5. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Don't turn off Aero as that can reduce system stability...

Aero uses the GPU and a totally different rendering method for all window drawing.

Turning off Aero defaults to the old XP style GDI++ method which is all CPU driven and can be prone to locking up apps.

6. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Do you have your fans up? Your computer could be overheating.

7. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it is still cool to the touch, even on the left speaker (which I think is where the GPU is).

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Possibly it is that the game uses DirectX 8.1. Perhaps it can not talk to the current Direct X in Windows 7 (10.1 I think).

9. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

When I check my version of DirectX (typing dxdiag in run), it says DirectX 11. Could I downgrade the version of DirectX I use?
    When I run the game on an older HP under XP, it runs smooth no matter what.

10. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

You cannot downgrade your directx version I don't think, but it doesn't matter because you should have a copy of directx 9 on your computer which is backwards compatible.

11. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Have you tried this patch?

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch/Command-Conquer-Generals-Patch.shtml

12. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention that I was using the expansion pack, Zero Hour. I have all the latest patches for that one.

So how would I switch between them, or know which one is used for what (I'm not very knowledgeable in Windows, so I don't know if this makes sense at all)

13. KevinN206 macrumors regular

The game will use whatever the game supports, so I will venture a guess and say 9. Also, Aero automatically disables itself when a fullscreen game is launched. You can keep Aero enabled without affecting your fullscreen games.

14. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I don't know alot about this either, as I have little experience with Vista and none with windows 7. IIRC, for Vista it should be a setting in the game. This game does not support DX10-11 at all, so it will run with DX9c every time. (DirectX 10+ are not backwards compatible with DirectX 9, so any game that does not support them defaults to DX9).

15. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone who offered help, but I found the problem.

I realized I was running a version I had installed a third party mod. :rolleyes: When I turned this mod off, the game flew with max AI opponents on a large map at max graphics settings.