Slow wired connection between Time Capsule and Blu Ray Player

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alfonsopulido, Mar 16, 2010.

1. alfonsopulido macrumors newbie

:confused: I connected my Samsung BD-C5500 Blu Ray player directly with an ethernet cable to a Time Capsule. In the player's setup menu, I went to the Wired Connection Setup and chose "Auto" so the IP Address, Subnet Mask, etc were acquired automatically. Apparently the player joined the network without any problems, BUT...
    ...if I go into the player's Internet@TV menu and into Settings, there's a "network speed test" where it's warned that any speed under 1.5 Mbps will result in bad performance. I run the test and it gives me an average of 800 Kbps!
    I have 2 MacBooks and a PC desktop that connect wirelessly to the same Time Capsule network and they get download speeds over 10 Mbps... does anybody have an idea on why the player that is wired to the network is so much slower. Isn't a wired connection supposed to be much faster than a wireless one? I already tried changing the ethernet cable for a brand new one and nothing changed.
    I think that it might be that the player is not automatically acquiring the right IP address, etc. and I'm not sure how to do it manually. I have the Time Capsule set up on my MacBook and if I open Airport Utility/Manual Setup/Internet, there's a bunch of numbers that I don't know which to copy on the player's Network Manual Setup (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS Server). I tried copying the MacBook IP address on the player's setup as IP address, Gateway and DNS Server but it didn't work. It would not even connect.
    Thank you if anyone can help.
    Thank you

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

You do not want the same IP address, the others should be the same (gateway, and dns)

auto should work, the IP will come up close to your macbook, but the last number (of the 4) will be different. If it is connecting at all, then auto has worked.

Don't know why it's coming up slow, it could be that whatever server your player is connecting to is just having problems. try it again at another time.

3. alfonsopulido thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right, I guess it could be a problem with their network and not mine.
    I just want to know if there's anything that I can do with my setup to improve the network speed so I'm able to watch Netflix HD content.
    I've contacted the Samsung online chat support and I feel that I'm talking to a fourth grader.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

What I would do is connect the Blu-ray player directly to your modem. Run the config again so that it obtains a new IP address and see if that resolves the speed issue. If it does, there may be something wrong with your setup. My assumption is that you'll still experience the same speeds, in which case it is probably the server that it is connecting to as waw74 suggested. But at least you'll know that it's not your router.