Slow Wireless (Airport Extreme&Express)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wrinkster22, Nov 27, 2011.

1. wrinkster22, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hello everyone;
    I did not want to create a new thread and I have some more questions but first I would like to give some background info:
    -I swapped my AEB for a new one at the apple atore
    -I moved our AE from basement (ethernet) to main floor (wireless)

I was wondering if picking up One of these Or one of these (I love the way these look) would help the speed + range improve.
    What I would do is keep my base station where it is (main floor, ethernet) the repeater where it is now (main floor, wireless) and add one of these upstairs (via ethernet) and one in the basement (via ethernet)

Another question, is the UFO style really bad as in should I stick with the newer style?

Attached Files:

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Lots of factors, interference, etc move your main router to a different place to see if that opens it up.

3. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

thanks. The thing is we had a different router there that we had no issues. There is no other location it can really go because of our ethernet. Except maybe in our basement, directly below which would likely be worse.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Run a longer cord just as a test, then you can figure out what's practical.

I put my TC where my ISP router lived, and got no coverage beyond 1 room vs the ISP router covering the entire floor. I moved the TC to the top of the same cabinet and achieved even more range than the ISP router.

Location, location, location ...

5. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Thanks for the advice.
    The thing is even when I am right beside it I have slow internet. Could the router be broken?

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Did you recently upgrade the firmware to 7.6 (i believe). If so, fall back to the previous firmware version and see if everything go back to normal.

7. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

1st lets put things into perspective... These speed tests ... basically all of them ... Have a fatal flaw that ISPs take great advantage of, the test is not very long and as such ISPs can and do tweak their networks to ... Test Well ... they give you an initial burst rate for a fairly small amount of time that presents really well when tested. The down side is once a download speed is kept going beyond the burst time frame the speeds drop .. Often drastically. Look at the cable speed chart that Netflix publishes .... Those numbers are FAR below what most people see with a very short term test.

2nd you seem to be trying to stream from INSIDE your home... If this is the case then those speed tests mean nothing since you aren't traveling out to the net in the first place.

Now if your server is connected to 10 base T hub then 10mb/s is all you'd ever hope to see.. Actually slower but you get the point.

What you need to do is trace the data path...

Like iPod Touch 54mb/s to xyz base station with 100 mb/s connected to a 10 mb/s hub to a server connected to that same 10 mb/s hub to the servers gigabit Ethernet port.

In the above the lowest speed of 10mb/s is the BEST you could hope for .. Again less really.

Now if you had a 100mb/s HUB even then it being a HUB means the 100mb/s is SHARED between each port on the device.

If you had a 100mb/s SWITCH or gigabit SWITCH then you'd have a much easier time doing streaming. However remember that wifi is a shared service so just by having multiple devices active on the same wifi network will always be worse than only having a lone device connected to the device.

8. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

That is very helpful!
    We do have a switch so that makes a lot of sense!
    I am going to try to plug the router into a port with more broadband. Is there a way to utilize an unused port on our ethernet splitter?
    (we have a 10 port splitter and we are only using 6 or so, Could I use one of those ports? thanks so much)

9. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Just to make things clear...

An Ethernet hub is a device that shares its advertised speed between all of its ports so if port 1 is talking to port 5 all of the other ports 2,3,4,6,7,8,9 & 10 will have to see and ignore that traffic.

An Ethernet switch is more selective and for the most part traffic between port 1 and 5 will be for the most part invisible to the other ports.

Where things get messy is when you attach a wifi router off of one of the ports... Because then the wifi device could be serving LOTS of device requests.

2 iPhones, 1 or 2 iPads, a few laptops even if most of the devices aren't being used, depending on the OS some may still be talking to the wifi router eating up the shared bandwidth.

Also, depending on the config of the wifi router and the devices connecting to it you might be forcing the device into a lower speed config to accommodate older non 802.11n devices.

10. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Thanks for all this info.
    We are still trying to figure out a few solutions
    solution 1- Run a direct line from the modemn to the router
    solution 2-reconfigure where we plug in the router (ethernet)

11. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hello everyone;
    I did not want to create a new thread and I have some more questions but first I would like to give some background info:
    -I swapped my AEB for a new one at the apple atore
    -I moved our AE from basement (ethernet) to main floor (wireless)

I was wondering if picking up One of these Or one of these (I love the way these look) would help the speed + range improve.
    What I would do is keep my base station where it is (main floor, ethernet) the repeater where it is now (main floor, wireless) and add one of these upstairs (via ethernet) and one in the basement (via ethernet)

Another question, is the UFO style really bad as in should I stick with the newer style?