slow wireless, other computers fine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Thanatoast, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I have a 17" iMac I bought in November of last year that is cursed with slow wireless speeds.

Downloading an HD trailer off of Apple's website, side-by-side with my fianceé's Macbook results in her mac completing the download three times faster than my own. So I know it's not my cable modem or my Airport Express, because my fianceé doesn't have the slowness issue.

It must be something on my computer, but what? I tried enabling interface robustness, setting the multicast rate higher, and switching the Airport Express to G-only but to no avail.

Can anyone help? :(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try changing the broadcast channel. Different channels have different luck with reception in various spots within their broadcast radius, depending on what interference yuo may be getting. :)

3. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

i have seen this solution proposed several times. can anyone actually explain how ones goes about changing the channel?!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well it's a router settings so it's slightly different for each brand. Using an AirPort Express like Thanatoast's, it is done through the AirPort Admin Utility. It is a drop down list at the bottom of the AirPort page. Try it at each extreme setting (channel 1, or channel 11) and then try it in the middle (channel 6 or so). :)