Slow wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jethryn Freyman, May 22, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It's an 802.11G (G only) network with an Airport Extreme. All computers on the network run 10.5 and have either G or N speed wireless cards.

802.11G is supposed to be 54mbit/sec.

If I set the multicast rate of the network to 2, I get 8mbit/sec.

If I set it to 24 (the maximum), I get 11.2mbit/sec.

It's on a channel which no other networks are on, the computer are within 5 meters of each other, and there's no interference.

Why is my network so slow?

2. Whitefang8355 macrumors newbie

Sorry I do not have a solution to this but I have a similar AirPort issue that has baffled me and frustrated me to no end (It's still a issue for me)

While I am at home every so often I will be on Safari, Modzilla, iTunes, or just sitting at my computer typing up a report on Word any my AirPort signal strength will randomly do ALL/SOME/ONE of these things
    -Signal Strength will drop from full signal to barely any with 1 bar and stay there.
    -Signal Strength will drop from full to none and my apple airport base will not be detected at all.
    -Signal Strength will drop from full to none then back up to full. Then back to none then up to full, etc..etc...

But what baffles me is that when I attempt to reconnect. My airport station is in the middle of my house and 90% of the time anywhere in my house I receive a full signal for my 1 story house. I can understand if it dropped to half signal and the network connection was slower that other 10% but this is NEVER!!!!! the case. Its either full or none, and I can't figure out why this happens??

Mac OS X
    Version 10.4.11
    Processor 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.4.4

I can restart my computer and that usually fixes the issue but thats just a hasstle. I can turn my Airport off and on once and it doesn't usually fix the issue, but makes it worse most of the time. I select another weaker airport network and switch back to mine but it wont fix it. I can exit all my running programs that connect to the internet and it will ask for my keychain pass for Safari, iTunes or Modzilla when i run them again.

It wasn't always like this, as it has come up recently. I have scanned and re-installed with no affect.

Does this sound similar to your issue? Because it does to me.