Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyquist11

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I currently have a MacBook Pro that is the one before the most recent one. When I first got it the xbench speeds for it were reasonable when compared to other similar computers on their website. Now everything is about the same but my hard drive scores have dropped below 30 in some cases and even down to less than .5 MB/ sec. I have not had the computer for even a year and I am not using it more than 4-6 hours a day. What should I do.

*Note: I have a Apple Protection Plan on it after what happened to my ibook (crunch, "We have just landed"). Does anyone think that I should take it in. (It is hard for me to get to the apple store and I need it for things every afternoon.):apple::apple::confused:

chrisbeebops

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
XBench isn't what I would call the most accurate or reliable benchmark suite.

Are you having any problems other than a lower score than expected in XBench? Most likely something was just running in the background accessing the hard drive at the same time as XBench...

nyquist11

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
XBench isn't what I would call the most accurate or reliable benchmark suite.

Are you having any problems other than a lower score than expected in XBench? Most likely something was just running in the background accessing the hard drive at the same time as XBench...
Ok, Thank you

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I currently have a MacBook Pro that is the one before the most recent one. When I first got it the xbench speeds for it were reasonable when compared to other similar computers on their website. Now everything is about the same but my hard drive scores have dropped below 30 in some cases and even down to less than .5 MB/ sec. I have not had the computer for even a year and I am not using it more than 4-6 hours a day. What should I do.

*Note: I have a Apple Protection Plan on it after what happened to my ibook (crunch, "We have just landed"). Does anyone think that I should take it in. (It is hard for me to get to the apple store and I need it for things every afternoon.):apple::apple::confused:

How full is your drive now? All drives benchmark much faster when nearly empty. When nearly full they are writing to areas at the edge of the disk which is much slower to do than areas near the center of the disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.