Slowdown, Lag on G5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chulo, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Chulo macrumors member

Running:
    4x 2.5 Ghz PowerPC G5
    4GB DDR2 SDRAM
    HD-9.7GB left of 223GB
    SecondaryHD- 37GB left of 195GB

Finder is slow at opening folders, previews inside folders, "get info" option takes a while to open on everything, and when go to force quit it says Finder is not responding. Trying to figure out what's causing this. I was away from the computer about a week and when i came back it was acting this way. ANy thoughts? Thanks

2. santangelo macrumors regular

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I am far from an expert, but I would suggest two things.

First, try to clear more space on your primary drive (9.7 Gb free on a 250 Gb drive is almost nothing). I seem to remember reading that a drive that close to full can slow things down significantly.

Second, try repairing permissions. That's what cured mine, though I can't explain why that would speed things up.

Have you restarted it recently?

Bob

4. Chulo thread starter macrumors member

I restart and works fine, until I do a CTRL-F to try and clear space on the HD. Doing a search for the big stuff and from there it all goes down. The little rainbow circle comes out and Finder says not responding. CTRL-F used to work fine.

After I do CTRL-F and IT...NOT finding anything, the slow opening of windows and lag starts

5. Chulo thread starter macrumors member

After doing the search, Finder just closes the window and I get no results, just left with lag

6. huntercr macrumors 65816

Sounds like damaged partition ( or disk ). What happens when you try to repair the disk?

Also, if you need to free up space, DiskInventoryX is a nice free tool

7. Chulo thread starter macrumors member

I Verify Disk andit says Volume passed verification. The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK. The Repair button is grayed out so I can't press it. I'll try the tool see if it works. Thanks

8. Willehard macrumors newbie

Willehard

to repair your startup disk you need to run disk utility after booting from your os x install dvd

9. Chulo thread starter macrumors member

Even if it tells me the volume is OK?