macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Running:
4x 2.5 Ghz PowerPC G5
4GB DDR2 SDRAM
HD-9.7GB left of 223GB
SecondaryHD- 37GB left of 195GB

Finder is slow at opening folders, previews inside folders, "get info" option takes a while to open on everything, and when go to force quit it says Finder is not responding. Trying to figure out what's causing this. I was away from the computer about a week and when i came back it was acting this way. ANy thoughts? Thanks

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I am far from an expert, but I would suggest two things.

First, try to clear more space on your primary drive (9.7 Gb free on a 250 Gb drive is almost nothing). I seem to remember reading that a drive that close to full can slow things down significantly.

Second, try repairing permissions. That's what cured mine, though I can't explain why that would speed things up.

Have you restarted it recently?

Bob

Chulo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
I restart and works fine, until I do a CTRL-F to try and clear space on the HD. Doing a search for the big stuff and from there it all goes down. The little rainbow circle comes out and Finder says not responding. CTRL-F used to work fine.

After I do CTRL-F and IT...NOT finding anything, the slow opening of windows and lag starts

Chulo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
After doing the search, Finder just closes the window and I get no results, just left with lag

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I restart and works fine, until I do a CTRL-F to try and clear space on the HD. Doing a search for the big stuff and from there it all goes down. The little rainbow circle comes out and Finder says not responding. CTRL-F used to work fine.

After I do CTRL-F and IT...NOT finding anything, the slow opening of windows and lag starts

Sounds like damaged partition ( or disk ). What happens when you try to repair the disk?

Also, if you need to free up space, DiskInventoryX is a nice free tool

Chulo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Sounds like damaged partition ( or disk ). What happens when you try to repair the disk?

Also, if you need to free up space, DiskInventoryX is a nice free tool

I Verify Disk andit says Volume passed verification. The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK. The Repair button is grayed out so I can't press it. I'll try the tool see if it works. Thanks

Willehard

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2006
Helsinki
I Verify Disk andit says Volume passed verification. The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK. The Repair button is grayed out so I can't press it. I'll try the tool see if it works. Thanks
to repair your startup disk you need to run disk utility after booting from your os x install dvd