Slower Boot Start Up After Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by em.agine, Aug 30, 2009.

1. em.agine macrumors newbie

So I recently upgraded my buddy's 15" Macbook Pro from his factory 160gb that it came with to a 500gb 7200rpm Seagate. The Macbook is a couple years old, Core2Duo and 2gb ram.

The hard drive install went smooth and flawlessly, expecting to have some difficulty, but had none at all. The first time I booted up the computer I knew it would take a bit longer than usual since it would have to recognize the new drive and it did. A blank white screen came on (which never happened before), then the apple came on to the middle of the screen, then the blue screen (the one that people got from installing leopard), then finally the desktop.

The thing is now, it actually takes longer to boot than it did w/ the previous hard drive in it! Shouldn't it be a little bit faster or even the same since the last one had a 5400rpm and the newer is 7200rpm? And the blank white screen still comes up for awhile before the apple in the middle appears, which it never did before. Other than the start up, everything about the computer and hard drive runs perfectly fine.

Is this usual for Macbook Pros? Its getting kind of annoying since we installed Leopard and it added the bluescreen before starting up, and now adding another white screen before everything else loads. Start up time is getting slower and slower. Is there some kind of update I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Clif Notes:

- Installed new hard drive
    - Slower boot up
    - Getting blank white screen every boot which it never had before

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a