Slower Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KurtangleTN, May 17, 2008.

1. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

I've been noticing the past couple of weeks quite sluggish performance from my Leopard install, now I'm not sure if it's just because I've been using XP a lot more recently (games) and I'm now just noticing it, or something I did recently to the system.

I'm starting to run out of ideas, I've Onyx, deeped cleaned it, Reset PRAM many times, repaired permissions, etc and nothing.

Compared to some of my other Macs (example my friends Tiger iMac G4 booted up faster than this Intel iMac!) startup time seems sluggish and app launch seems even more sluggish.

A couple of examples

1. I have a blue screen at startup that often last around 10 seconds. (after white and before log in screen)

2. After entering my password and username I get a 5-10 second pause of it just showing the wallpaper.

3. Loading the dock and menubar often takes a good 10-15 seconds.

This was an upgrade install (unfortunately I didn't realize my CPU Drop in Upgrade DVD had an erase and install option) and I'm beginning to want to reinstall, but is there any things I can do to try to to try to mend these issues?

2. KurtangleTN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bump, I've searched and nobody seems to actually have a reason/solution for this.

I do think that the slower loading from logon to the menu bar and dock was because my external hd, anyone else have this with external drives (This is a drive enclosure, the drive is FAT32)

3. ColinEC macrumors 6502

I had the same problem, Leopard was really slow for me.

Some days it'd boot just fine, other days it'd hang on that blue screen you're talking about.

I just decided to completely format my computer, repair the HD, run OnyX after installing, etc.

It runs pretty well now, might just want to start from scratch and format like I did.

4. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

When you boot up, the system spews out messages to the logs.
    These messages have timestamps. What you can do is look at
    the logs and see what messages occur around the time of the
    blue screen delay. Use an accurate clock to time when the
    delay happens, if necessary.

The logs are in '/var/log'. You can open them in Console.app,
    but you're best off as an admin if you want to look at them.
    Try looking at 'system.log'.

You can also try booting in verbose mode. You need to hold
    down ⌘-V when booting, IIRC.

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Don't be so quick to reformat when you can Archive and Install and save your settings and apps. You may want to try that first.

6. KurtangleTN thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have much of a problem with totally reformatting since I backed up most of my stuff already. I can replace most apps no problem.

ColinEC, Good to see a reformat helped, I've seen people claim they have reformatted and it did not help.

Infrared, thanks I'll try to look at the logs, verbose mode cut off as soon as it it hit the bluescreen, but the logs should give me a good idea what's going on.

Thanks everyone for the replies!