slower storage speed iP7 32 gb actually bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kofman13, Oct 27, 2016.

1. kofman13 macrumors member

So i am looking to get an iphone 7, was leaning towards 32 gb instead of 128 gb due to my needs and budget. I am reading how 32 gb has 8 times slower write speeds than the 128 gb model, but read speeds are the same. what does that actually affect in real world use? just copying stuff to phone like movies and music? ( i rarely copy things to my phone from computer)

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If you had both, I bet you would never see the difference.

These forums can put doubts in anyone.

I hope you enjoy your new 7, it is a great device.

3. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

What he said 8x over. People like to says things to generate clicks. Enjoy your 32GB phone.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will be fine.
    You will not be able to notice anything besides the $100 extra price tag.
    All these online postings like this and the Intel chip thing are just for OCD people that like to stress out over nothing and try exchanging their devices over a dozen times and continue with the never ending back and forth.

5. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Not sure why no one answered your question, but the answer is yes youll notice on write speeds. no its not bad. You'll notice on write speeds like transferring a 4K video to your comp. As for opening apps/internet etc nothing will be noticeable.

6. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i don't care about that, just was mostly worried about daily normal usage differences like opening and loading apps and multi tasking etc

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

then nope you will not notice bc they are the same for what you are using it for

8. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Wouldn't transferring a video to your computer be reading from the flash memory on the phone? The read speeds are virtually the same between the models. A better example would be editing a video in iMovie on the phone, where it had to write the edited movie into memory. Really though, how often are you doing that? And how much do you really care? The test showed like a ~40 second difference in write speeds for a large video. More likely though, if you're going to be shooting lots of video and editing it on the phone, you probably are going to opt for a higher capacity model anyway.

To the OP, seriously, don't worry about it. I'm coming from a 64 GB 6S+ and can't see any difference day to day with the lower capacity model. Enjoy the phone and paying $100 less!

9. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Has anyone who responded to this thread actually used and compared a 32 GB model?

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Would that somehow make a difference as far as what the OP is asking about?

11. Kristine macrumors 6502a

As someone who owns both a 32GB and 128GB iPhone 7 Plus, the read/write speeds are different (when using software to 'benchmark' read/write speeds).

HOWEVER, there is no difference in everyday use of the phone (opening/closing apps, email, browsing online, etc.).

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Both read and write? It should just be write that's really different.

13. Kristine macrumors 6502a

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I doubt it. Why? Because I have one of the "slower" LTE phones. I haven't noticed it, especially when dealing with the crap DSL my parents have in their new house because AT&T is the devil. 1 Mbps. In 2016.

I digress. It's fast as freaking hell doing everything I have tried. As with a lot of number things, it's probably so minor based on what people actually do that you'll never notice. Same with the imperfections of compressed audio through Apple Music or the iPhone 7 Plus camera compared to a DSLR. For most people's general purposes, you will not care. I could deafen the neighborhood with songs from Apple Music in my car (an amp and subwoofer help a wee bit) and so far the iPhone 7 Plus camera looks as good as anything for the average shots I'm taking.

Also, I think the story on those flash speeds got a little blown out of proportion. I didn't find actual stats, but the more accurate framing may be "128GB, 256GB iPhone faster than 32GB iPhone" instead of the "32GB iPhone is slower!" clickbait that you likely saw. Extra parts (I forget their names) are added to speed up writing since there's so much more space on which to write. Plus they cost an extra $100 and $200, so the fact that they get some sort of speed boost shouldn't be a complete shock.

16. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I have both the iPhone 7 32 GB and iPhone 7 Plus 32 GB. And from practical experience and side by side comparisons, I see no difference in speed results. They appear exactly the same To me.