slowing macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by migsev, Apr 23, 2008.

1. migsev macrumors regular

any idea why a macbook pro would slow down all of a sudden? i'm new to OSX so i don't really know my way around it. its an old one, but it isn't really beaten up.

its a 1.83ghz 15-inch with 1.5GB of ram.

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'd advise a Ram upgrade, im pretty sure your maximum is 2Gb, but maxing it out will give you a slight increase.

3. cmm26red macrumors regular

Install istat menus so that you can keep an eye on ram, hdd, and cpu utilization.

Link: http://www.islayer.com/

There are a myriad of reasons why you could be noticing a slow down. Which version of OSX (10.5.2?) are you running? What is you ram utilization during normal use? What is you cpu doing under normal use? How full is your hdd? The program I just mentioned should help you determine some basic info as a starting point and it is highly recommended.

4. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

its running 10.5.1 with an 80gb hard drive. 19.2gb is still free.

it just slowed down, even without anything really being added.

5. cmm26red macrumors regular

That answered 2 out of the 4 questions I asked... Without any more info, it will be hard to point you in the right direction.

6. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

sorry about that. how do i answer the other 2 though? what do i have to look at?

7. bart rijksen macrumors regular

You could probably install Onyx. It is a log cleaning program, and it might make your computer a bit faster. Furthermore, probably upgrade your ram and your hard drive.