Slowing up, clean-up??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

I know I was told a while back that Macs don't need a 'clean-up' as such, like Windows do, as it runs it's own scripts etc, in the background, but i have noticed a decline in speed, for instance when I clicked on the blue 'downloads' folder the far right one in the dock it always showed pics instantly, now it is a slower process and pics open slower. Prior they were instant.

Also, I know start up is slower than when new as I have stuff on the hard drive, Still have 276 of the 320 HD. Any advice as to what you guys and gals do would be appreciated, just to give it a kick after it's first 6 months..

Thanks

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you really want to clean up the rubbish that may have collected over the past 6 months then copy your documents/ applications and media files to an external HDD and then erase and restore.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

How much available RAM do you have when it's acting slow?

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

How do you restore without going into too much detail, Is that a putting disk in and starting from 'as new'? Documents I can drag and drop etc, but things like photoshop, can they be saved on to a HDD or is that a whole new install with the original disk.

Not sure as to RAM when it's doing that, is that an Activity monitor job?

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Yes. Clean install with all the disks etc.

Yes. Open Activity Monitor and post the memory usage next time it slows down.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Preferable the process list ordered by "% CPU" too. Often a slow down is due to some buggy app claiming all the CPU time it can get.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks guys, is the restore with disks pretty self explanatory when inserted?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, there's nothing untoward on here, as far as I'm aware. No virus protection, etc.. no apps other than, flash, perion, flip4mac etc, and a downloaded photoshop from proper disk. Was angling to see if there were any nasties from the web that had been picked up and were hiding

Thanks

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If by "nasties from the web" you mean malware, it's not likely at all. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That a Little drastic

Download and install / run ONYX from:
    http://download.cnet.com/OnyX-Lion/3000-18512_4-75531645.html

Use the clean and maintenance facilities, re-booting when asked

Run Daily, Weekly and Monthly scripts

A re-install is a little OTT IMO

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I've had Onyx installed for years but must admit I never use it! Provided, when not using it, you put your iMac to sleep instead of switching it of completely, the regular maintenance scripts run automatically.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Mac OS X maintenance scripts do not run when the Mac is in sleep mode. However, if your Mac is off or asleep at the time the scripts are scheduled to run, they will run the next time your Mac is awake.

14. Rowf macrumors regular

I didn't know this so thanks :)

I'll post this link up anyway 'cos it's the one that I was using when looking at general mac maintenance (of which there isn't a lot, happily)

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can also install this widget, which will allow you to manually force the scripts to run, or tell you the last time that they did run.