Slowly dying macbook pro? Help please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by watermelon, Jun 25, 2008.

1. watermelon macrumors regular

Soooooooo I have a macbook pro and when i try to start it it takes a good 5 minutes at the screen with the apple logo and spinny thing and then it just gets stuck at the blue screen before the login screen. Nothing happens- the mouse doesn't show up, the login screen never shows up.
    However- it works starting up in safe mode! Yay! So, what can i do to fix this?
    its a 2.5ghz macbook pro with 10.5.3
    it just randomly started - no software updates, hardware/software changes.
    I repaired permissions- didn't do anything.
    Thank you!

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

the hard drive could possibly be going bad. Do you hear any abnormal noises? Have verified the drive w/ disk utility?

3. watermelon thread starter macrumors regular

YES!
    I've had it for maybe 3 weeks, its the new penryn one.
    When i turn it off by going to apple menu - shut down, it shuts down- the screen turns off, fans turn off, etc. - but when i put my ear to the left palm rest where the hard drive is located i still hear a weird humming noise- the only way to get rid of it is to take out the battery. It's weird because if the fans are off and the screen is off then why would the hard drive keep running forever after shutdown?
    Blah.
    Yeah, I verified- it all came up as no errors :(

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

The humming/ whirring is normal. Anytype of of clicking or clunking is what you want to look out for. Have you tried zapping the PRam and resetting the SMC control? Apart from that, it might be worth it to do a fresh install of osX

5. rlm22b macrumors member

rlm22b

Salutations. I was having the same problems. They started to occur about a month after getting it. I also had some kernel panics and all around sluggishness. I listened to the hard drive and heard a ticking sound and when I booted in verbose mode it showed codes that indicated hard drive issues. There's no Apple Store in Tallahassee, so I overnighted it to my cousin in Atlanta. He took it back to the store I got it from and they replaced it.

6. watermelon thread starter macrumors regular

Hello, and thanks for the reply!
    In verbose mode, what exactly are the codes that indicated the hard drive issues, if you remember?
    Was the ticking noise you heard from the hard drive occuring when the computer was off, on, or both? I get a ticking noise but only when the computer is off, and i have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to get the ticking noise to go away.
    Also, the computer doesn't go to sleep- if I close it and open it, for example, pressing the power button doesn't do anything, and all I hear is the hard drive ticking- no fans.
    Thanks again!

7. rlm22b macrumors member

rlm22b

disk0s2 0xe003005 was the code. In addition I noticed that a lot of time outs and failures were coming up for various things that were supposed to start up.

Call AppleCare, they are going to tell you to do everything that RITZFit recommended. If you're having the same issue I was then the resets and erase and install will not work and they'll offer to repair it or you can try to get a store to replace it.