Slowww AirPort!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PowerFullMac, Nov 9, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

My MacBook is connected to the internet via internet sharing on my iMac. The speed of the net on the iMac is fine, as is the speed of my iPod touch when connected the same way... However, the MacBook is very slow sometimes, and fast sometimes, and sometimes its just in the middle.

I have tried resetting Safari just now and I have deleted the network from the known networks list and reconnected again but it didn't work.

Anyone got any tips?

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Check to see if there are any widgets, background programs, Mail programs, or anything that employs automatic syncing with the internet running on the iMac. Sometimes even protein folding programs can be at fault for hogging up all your "intarwebz"

Is the iMac usually not being used when the internet gets slow? If it's being used, it may be the browser on the iMac being a hog. It might also be that you have too many users connected to the iMac via internet sharing at one time, and it prioritizes the connection to other units over the MacBook. The recommended max for internet sharing over Airport is 4 users I think, so you might want to consider that too.

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Actually, I think Mail is running, yeah, and a lot of the time my young brother is streaming Linkin Park videos from YouTube... Would make sense, I suppose.

4. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Oh yeah, I also think our router is dying, so that would be a factor...

Thanks, it was all obvious really!