Slug attack-fixable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by owaint, Jan 31, 2017.

1. owaint macrumors newbie

So my 2015 15 inch retina MacBook Pro stop working little while ago. Symptoms were that it wouldn't power up or boot at all. I took it into the genius bar where they opened it and found that - of all things - a slug had decided to attack my laptop! By the look of it a baby gastropod had somehow found its way into my Computer and subsequently become fried on the circuitboard!

Here we come to the difficult bit, as the insurgent has been classified as a "contaminant", Apple are refusing to even consider repairing the computer. I understand that it would probably outside of the scope of AppleCare but they won't even look at doing a paid job :(

Here the parts that seem to be affected could anybody give me an idea whether getting a third-party repair of this might be economical?

Attached Files:

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well if you are in the US they might replace the logic board as a standard repair. Other than that it'll cost a new logic board and labour if you get it done at an Apple certified place so you can keep applecare and warranty.

Other than that try a few independents and see what they say!!

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Remove the slug and clean the affected area with 99% isopropyl alcohol

If the laptop still doesn't work, bring it back to the Apple Store.

4. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

That's a great story. That's one fried slug! It doesn't even look much like one anymore. I know it sucks for you though and you have my sympathies.

Cleaning and taking it back to Apple won't work. They will have a record of your laptop being rejected already.

5. owaint thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's the problem with the Apple route - they already know they've said no to it.

My question really was what has it damaged in that pic? Is fixing it a matter of a new logic board? If so what does that normally cost?

6. bizack macrumors 6502

I'd try slugging it out with Apple.

7. owaint thread starter macrumors newbie

:D:D