Sluggish animations...sometimes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mariotr87, Jun 18, 2016.

1. mariotr87 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've noticed that my new 2016 rMacBook stutters while performing animations from time to time. Other times, they just work like butter. It's not very deterministic but it's extremely easy to reproduce nevertheless. When it happens, usually repeating the animation a few times makes it work properly again, as if the GPU had to "warm up". I'm referring to things like switching between two full screen apps, opening Mission Control, or even scrolling in Safari.

I've found references to the same problem in other macs (even MacBook Pros), sometimes even involving constant lag, which is not my case; I'm wondering whether this is a common issue with retina Macs (which I've never had before) or if there's something wrong in particular with my device. If the former, I'd also like to know if there's anything that can be done to make it a bit better (and that doesn't involve disabling transparencies altogether, since it looks ugly as hell).

Thanks in advance!

2. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

The animations in OS X/macOS (Dock and Mission Control/Exposé) are sometimes a little choppy right after a reboot or upon waking from hibernation/sleep in my '16 12" MacBook.
    But most times they're smooth.
    -and the same was the case in my 15" dGPU '15 Pro (abbreviation extravaganza!)

3. ncm34 macrumors member

ncm34

The "warm-up" you are noticing is probably a result of the GPU clocking up to meet demand. I haven't noticed this stuttering yet on my 2015 12", although I don't tend to have more than 3-4 windows open at once when using Mission Control.