Sluggish intel iMac 24" (HD problem?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheDesmodus, Jun 23, 2008.

1. TheDesmodus macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am having several problems with my 1st gen Intel iMac 24". The first I started to notice was that last year, it seemed to become slower and slower. Then when 10.5 came out, I reformatted and did a clean install.
    But still the machine felt sluggish to me. Not instantly giving me the content of a window when double clicking, but taking a few seconds before showing. Also when performing multiple tasks quickly after one another it seems to wait for a previous one to finish before it starts with the next one (maybe I am too fast, but it is highly annoying when you are trying to move an icon, and have to wait 5 seconds to then see it jumping around the screen).
    Another thing that lately appeared are horizontal lines on my screen, that can be captured in a screenshot:
    http://www.hofhuis.org/meuk/scherm.png

As you can see it does not go all the way over the screen, and I can place things over it. So that part seems like a system bug to me (?).

But about the sluggish speed.. anyone any idea? I ran Drive Genius over it and no errors came up... will it help to put in a Raptor? Oh, I have 2Gb of memory in it.

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Did you try the diagnostics that came with your mac? You know to be sure you don't have an hardware problem not related with the HD.