Sluggish iOS advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justjax, Dec 20, 2015.

1. justjax macrumors regular

I'm having issues with my iPhone 6, latest iOS . I thought it was my old phone (I'd dropped it loads of times) and I think there might still have been an element of the problems to that but Apple gave me a replacement 6 about 6 months ago and I'm sill having the same issues, lag between opening apps, switching between apps, bringing up the keyboard and even entering pin cold, it's not all the time with all these issues but overall the whole iOS seems sluggish.

Surely the 6 is up to coping with iOS 9?

I appreciate the simple solution would be a fresh install and i'd happily do that if iTunes backed up all my old texts too. But it doesn't and I have lots of important info in my text and often refer back to them.

Any suggestions on how to clean up the iOS as much as possible before backing up and restoring? Should I just delete all apps? Then back up, reset all setting and just add the apps back in after the restore? Would be a pain but I'm desperate to get it running properly.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can always reset all settings and see if that helps as that won't change any of your data.

Why isn't iTunes backing up all your data (like messages) though?

3. justjax thread starter macrumors regular

Hi it does back up messages but I guess what I really should do is a fresh install as i have effectively been restoring backups since iOS6 to keep messages which means I might be effectively back up some bug or glitch and thats why i continue to have issues. I remember when I first got my iPhone 6 and I remember then thinking it wasn't very snappy. Unless things have changed, messages aren't automatically stored on the cloud like photos, so unless I back them up they are gone?

4. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

I think this is a problem from hyped up iphone reviews that mention no problems and when people have the iphones in hand, it is confusing when they see lag. The lag is normal.

5. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Fresh install should help. Your icloud files would still reload to your device but everything will be clean. I cant remember if messahes are restored as well with a fresh install.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

One thing you could try that has helped some people is this:

1. Hold down the power button until the slide to turn off button appears.

2. Then instead of turning it off, hold down the Home button until the phone turns back on, about 10 seconds.

The phone may then work as you wish. This has worked for several people, and is easier and perhaps safer than an actual reset.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sluggish can mean you CPU is busy doing something in the background. I would do a fresh restore as new and ad my apps one at a time to see if one of them is the culprit. This is a pain in the hind end but it is the best way to find if this sluggishness is due to an app or hardware.