Sluggish Mac Book Pro after 10.5.7 update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zeeklancer, May 13, 2009.

1. zeeklancer macrumors regular

Is anybody else seeing this? Once I upgraded I get the spinning beech ball all the time now. Applications "stop" responding, and TM backups seem to take forever.

In general everything just seems slow, laggy dock and everything.

I have a MBP 2.5ghz 4 gigs of ram.

-Zeek

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Have you checked activity monitor to see if something is hogging up lots of resources? Is your spotlight trying to index?

3. jwt macrumors 6502

My Mac Pro feels the same. Safari doesn't render pages correctly, and flash content doesn't work properly either. Apps are slower to load too. Not happy with this update.

4. zeeklancer thread starter macrumors regular

I have checked and nothing is hogging my CPU or RAM. Still odd slowness, and apps going unresponsive.

I will be typing and the screen wont update and then all the sudden all that I type will appear. Mail app beech ball, safari 4 beech ball.

When I switch apps with apple tab, they switch but fail to move to the space that they are on.

5. zeeklancer thread starter macrumors regular

As a note it appears to be disk IO related.

If I watch my TM backup go, it will go from doing like 30 megs a second, to 0 for a while. And during the time TM is not moving data the entire system feels slow. Turning off TM does not fix the issue.

6. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I'm sure that it is Spotlight trying to re-index the HDD. I read in another thread about updating to 10.5.7 that Spotlight will re-index. Give it some time to finish (don't shutdown/restart/sleep the Mac) and everything thing will return to normal shortly.

7. zeeklancer thread starter macrumors regular

I thought it was spotlight at first, but it was not. (the problem went on for hours and hours)

But I did find the problem! Mobile Me was the cause I think. It was in a constant sync state, stuck in a loop. I tried to stop the sync and it would never stop.

Tinkering with the sync settings and rebooting seemed to fix it. I hate rebooting, I wish I would have done it along time ago, work was crappy today on a slow mac :(

-Zeek

8. zeeklancer thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, i am still having problems. System just seems sluggish after any usage.

I am sad.

-Zeek

9. eMagine macrumors regular

eMagine

I don't know.. but both my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro are running snappier after the 10.5.7 update.

10. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Have had the same problem as the original poster, but it didn't start directly after the 10.5.7 update but a bit later. Went to the Mac Geniuses and they had no clue what was going on, i.e. sounded like they'd never seen this problem before. They told me to send the laptop in. I'm trying to get my data of. Bought a hard drive case. The read is incredibly slow, 1 Gig/hour through USB 2.0. So perhaps in my case it's just the hard drive. Or 10.5.7 messed up the hard drive, which seems difficult to imagine.

11. ncdasa macrumors member

You may want to try reverting to 10.5.6 for the time being or at least see if you can back up your data quicker with that version. I know its not an ideal solution but it seems practical under the circumstances.

12. ElMulo macrumors newbie

Same thing here. After installing 10.5.7 from the Combo package my MacBook Pro felt much slower. Lots of beachballs too.

The worst thing was Internet browsing. Scrolling pages with both Safari 4 beta and Firefox was not smooth.

I tried to repair permissions and restart my Mac without success.

I finally managed to solve the problem by:

- Downloading Onyx
    - Running the Maintenance --> Daily, weekly and monthly scripts
    - Cleaning all system caches (Cleaning --> System)
    - Cleaning all user caches (Cleaning --> User)
    - Cleaning all logs (Cleaning --> Logs)

After doing that, my MacBook Pro is more responsive, scrolling pages in my browser are smooth again and the beachballs have disappeared.

Cheers