Sluggish Macbook Pro (2010) - am I insane?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gurm42, Nov 7, 2010.

1. gurm42 macrumors newbie

Folks,

I have a puzzler here.

I recently upgraded to a 2010 MBP from my previous 2009 model. This has the 2.53 i5, 8GB, and the 500GB 7200RPM drive.

Every synthetic test shows this machine as being FAST. XBench, Cinebench, the Windows 7 benchmarks under Bootcamp - all show this machine as substantially outperforming the last one.

But it FEELS POKEY. I wonder if I'm going insane?

On a fresh install it seems ok, but VERY quickly (within a few days) it's pokey again.

What do I mean by "feels pokey"? I'll explain. My wife has a 17" 2010 MBP (purchased at the same time). On her laptop, when I click on the Safari icon, Safari is on the screen in one second. On mine? A couple seconds. Now, granted hers is the i7 model, but I don't think CPU has much bearing on whether or not Safari leaps onto the screen.

So I thought maybe it was the disk. Did a fresh reinstall, checked the disk for errors. Neither turned up anything. Tried a different hard disk - also nothing.

I've reset the SMC, which certainly seemed to help, but hasn't completely alleviated the problem. I'm going to reset my PRAM shortly and see if that makes a difference.

The problem persists under Bootcamp, as well - everything is nice and smooth (Windows 7 64-bit), but compared to a much older PC laptop running Windows 7 everything just seems to TAKE LONGER. On my Lenovo (a less powerful machine) logging into Windows takes about 2 seconds for the desktop to come up, and maybe a few more before I can launch a program. On the Macbook? You type your password and the little circle spins for 20+ seconds before the desktop appears.

But again - once loaded? It gives everything high marks, including the hard disk. In fact, the hard disk in this outperforms (according to XBench, Cinebench, and Windows 7) the one in my wife's 17".

And yet, everything FEELS pokey.

Am I going insane? Unclear!

Any thoughts?

- Gurm

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08