Sluggish menus and sloppy fast forward/rewind

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by hualon, Dec 14, 2008.

1. hualon macrumors 6502

I wanted to check with everyone else to see if I'm the only person that's experiencing this.

I'm running an ATV with 2.3 firmware and a 160GB drive. The device is on my wired LAN and is connected to my mac pro through a Linksys router/switch. Media are all stored on a Drobo that is connected to the Mac via Firewire 800.

Video playback is fine and I'm streaming almost everything over my network. The problem I'm having is that the menu is often very slow to respond and I can hear the ATVs hard drive chugging away doing God knows what frequently.

Often I'll push a navigation button (down, for instance) in my movie list that contains a couple hundred movies and almost a minute will go by before the ATV responds. When it does respond, the cursor often flies way down the screen trying to catch up.

Is this typical? I hate having to push the "Menu" button and literally waiting upwards of 30 seconds for it to go to the menu! The device has 35GB of free HDD space. I only synch my TV shows.

tl;dr version: Does your remote control take a long time to respond?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I get this too. Same situation as you just with a FW400 drive and a 40 gb :apple:TV instead.

I find it initially struggles with streaming too, as well as crashing randomly, stopping half way through songs when using it as an AirTunes node, refusing to respond to the remote, disappearing from the AirTunes Speakers menu in iTunes and stuttering badly in audio.

Other than that, it works well.