Sluggish mouse in Snow Leopard.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
England
I recently downgraded to Snow Leopard from Lion (clean install) and I have noticed that the mouse seems to be sluggish, not in the sense of being slow, but more in the sense that it is very difficult to quickly and accurately click on something, it feels as if the cursor is slowing before it reaches it's destination.

Not a very good description I know but it's something that's hard to describe. Has anyone encountered anything similar or know a fix?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I recently downgraded to Snow Leopard from Lion (clean install) and I have noticed that the mouse seems to be sluggish, not in the sense of being slow, but more in the sense that it is very difficult to quickly and accurately click on something, it feels as if the cursor is slowing before it reaches it's destination.

Not a very good description I know but it's something that's hard to describe. Has anyone encountered anything similar or know a fix?
  • Check batteries (if a cordless mouse).
  • If a drive is constantly active or your CPU utilization is high (possibly with increased temps and fan speed) when you're not running any major apps, check to see if Spotlight is indexing by looking at the Menu Bar icon:
    (not indexing)
    (indexing) (pulsing dot)​
  • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
England
I checked to see if there was any high disk activity or indexing happening, and there is neither. Also the CPU usage seems to be normal with no applications taking up a large portion of CPU usage.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I checked to see if there was any high disk activity or indexing happening, and there is neither. Also the CPU usage seems to be normal with no applications taking up a large portion of CPU usage.
Cordless or corded mouse?

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
England
I've never had software for the mouse before and it seems to have worked fine. I've tried unplugging and replugging and resetting the PRAM. None of which have worked.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
England
I ended up having to go back to Lion, which seems to have solved the issue. The bugs in Lion are irritating but not so much as the sluggish mouse problem in Snow Leopard. The odd thing is that my mac originally shipped with Leopard, and I didn't have any issues with Snow Leopard before Lion.