Sluggish on El Capitan sometimes

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by EldonChew, Oct 20, 2015.

1. EldonChew macrumors regular

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing this too

Sometimes when browsing Safari, it will hang all of a sudden and then anything you do after that is sluggish(eg. mouse taking a while to catch up, delayed actions etc)
    Basically Safari can't be used

This is solved by restarting and the problem comes back after a few days

2. frank4, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015

frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

I had that sluggishness problem about a week ago a couple of days after I updated from Yosemite to El Capitan. Using Activity Monitor I noticed it usually happened when browsing down a long web page such as in a forum, and the CPU activity would go very high for a second or two at the time of the sluggishness, which seemed to be almost a freeze in Safari.

It was quite annoying and frustrating and I was beginning to wonder if my little old 2011 Mini was not fast enough to handle El Capitan, although it was fine with Yosemite.

I tried several things, but what worked was to just go into Safari / History / and I cleared all history items, which also deletes cookies. Then I quit Safari and restarted it, the Safari mini-freezes were gone and have not returned. I don't know why this worked, but maybe something got messed up in Safari's history or cookies storage during the El Capitan installation.

My system seems to work great with El Capitan, it is maybe even a little faster than with Yosemite.