Sluggish OS on Display rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marddin, Jun 18, 2012.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

After reading many threads on the forum regarding sluggish OS on the new retina I figured I'd try it myself. I was messing around with a display model at my local store.

I was working with a base model retina with 8GB of ram. The resolution is very sharp. The blurryness of non-retina-ready apps is a tad annoying but I think once I have one for myself I will get used to it. When scaling at highest resolution there is a lot of screen real estate. I tried to push the laptop to hear the fans and was running many apps and running video in final cut with a relatively soft fan noise.

The real reason for my post was when I opened a few programs like 4-6 at once and use the expose features to see all windows, then selecting one. On the regular 15" mbp's the motions is fluid and very nice/crisp. While on the retina, in all resolutions, this animation was choppy and jagged, it never really got to being smooth as the non retinas. Ever when just shuffling between 2 or 3 programs.

I don't know if this is a deal breaker for me but my question is will 16GB ram make a different in OS animation like that?

Thanks for you response.

Martin

2. monkthehonk macrumors member

Almost all the UI lag and Safari lag has been fixed in the Mountain Lion DP4, so it shouldn't be something we have to worry about!

3. iFanboy Guest

This. It's all software. Mountain Lion deals with it and it will be released in 4 weeks.

4. eba macrumors regular

An excellent reason to wait and see.

5. iFanboy Guest

Why? DP4 is available now and does indeed fix all the laggy issues.

What is there to wait for? By the time most people get a delivery from now on Mountain Lion will be an almost immediate upgrade.

6. funnoam macrumors member

I laughed. Seriously, are you reading others topics about this issue ?
    It has been proven that MANY display model at store (apple retail store or other brand) are laggy as hell because of a buggy software on the computer. The issue doesn't exist on retail macook pro retina !!

False alarm, close this topic.

7. eba macrumors regular

I think it's more accurate to say that it has been surmised that lag on the display models is due to the demo software they run.

I say that because lag has been reported on retail RMBPs.

8. CUsurfer macrumors member

I'm really getting tired of seeing this topic over and over again.

Can someone with a Retina Macbook Pro and a developer account update to DP4 and end this once and for all? Just open 5 or so apps and toggle expose a few times, tell us whether it is truly sluggish or not and end this madness, please.....

9. eba macrumors regular

My guess is that if ML completely solved this problem, we'd have heard about it by now.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Aha are you serious? Present us with this proof then. Please tell me you know what proof means...

11. CUsurfer macrumors member

I don't know about that. I've only seen a few posts mention installing DP4--heck, we don't even know if DP4 contains any fixes for this particular issue (although you would think so). A laggy UI would ruin the Apple experience. If there really is an issue with an insufficient GPU (on-board or dedicated) I have a hard time believing Apple would have supplied the extra resolution modes. I'm not a computer engineer, but it seems ludicrous that the GPU can't handle some basic 2d animations (despite the large resolution) yet can handle 3d games with complex textures, lighting and effects, etc. Seems like it's got to be a software issue though again, I'm also speculating.

12. eba macrumors regular

Are you basing this on reports or first-hand experience? If the former, where?

Not a flame. Just trying to figure out if we know this for a fact.

13. bleomycin macrumors newbie

Seconded, i have seen this claim many times as well. Does anyone have a video of someone scrolling through theverge.com on ML very quickly with no lag at all?

14. CUsurfer, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

CUsurfer macrumors member

I apologize in advance, since I'm not answering your question, but I just want to be clear because there seems to be two separate, but possibly related issues talked about in this thread.

Issue 1: Laggy, jerky scrolling in Safari
    Footnotes: Specifically on pages with lots of image content. More pronounced on the larger resolutions (1680x1050, 1920x1200).
    Status: This issue is supposed to be expressly fixed in ML with their new scrolling implementation. (source - do a page search for "Smooth Scrolling")

Issue 2: Laggy UI (expose animations, moving/resizing windows, spaces, etc)
    Footnotes: Specifically on the larger resolutions (1680x1050, 1920x1200).

15. monkthehonk macrumors member

There have been several users in various threads that have stated dp4 fixed these issues, but yeah not sure if any documentation on it yet.

16. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I have DP4 and the update from yesterday installed on mine. There are still a lot of bugs with it, and more so with the retina MBP. That being said, when you're on battery, the video card seems to be stuck with the HD4000 instead of the GT650m. Things aren't as smooth as they were with DP4 on my 17", but that's not to say things are sluggish at all. I expect GM within a week or two, with "retail" being mid-July.

Overall, DP4.1 (with the update from yesterday) make things vastly better for me. But that could be because I'm so used to ML and really hated using Lion. I'm draining my battery now (first time use), so I'm hoping that once I plug in, the GT650m will kick and and make things nicer.

17. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Maybe they went back to passive-matrix for Retina?

18. CUsurfer macrumors member

I went to Best Buy today and I opened 5-6 apps and toggled Expose. I also tried resizing Safari. Then I did the same thing on the classic MBP. So I definitely noticed some lagginess with the Retina. I'm not sure what to make of that (software issue vs hardware issue). It was almost imperceptible, but it was definitely there. The retina animation just wasn't as buttery smooth as the classic. I'm guessing it's not a big deal for most people since it's barely noticeable. It will be interesting to see if this is addressed in any way when ML debuts.

19. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

That's great to hear. thanks.

20. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

Lag at the store MIGHT have something to do with software installed BUT

I have lag from Hell on 2.3 ghz retina, so don't disregard the issue everyone. It is a very annoying issue that I hope ML repairs.

21. kenskid macrumors regular

Lagging in Stores

I've noticed lagging on three MBPR in the Apple Store while using Safari. Everything else seems fine.

I tried one in Best Buy today and it was alos laggy in Safari. All else was good.

Mine will be in 7/2 - 7/9:D

----------

I just posted a main reply...however...I have to place here also. The ones I worked on were TOO laggy for a $2200.00 computer...but...it was just in Safari as far as I could tell. :confused: