Sluggish Performance on 2010 2.66GHz i7 macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macmang, Mar 12, 2011.

1. macmang macrumors newbie

Hi guys, this is my first post so go easy on me. In late may of 2010 I purchased the 15' i7 model of the macbook pro. I loved it for everything from surfing the web to gaming. I was surprised at how smooth the graphics were for wow and starcrart 2, but now there has been a noticeable decline in graphics and performance. I now have to play wow on low-good settings and if I have a browser open in the background (just 1) the letters lag considerably when typing. I would think 4 gigs of ram could handle two applications at the same time. Just the other day i noticed my friends 4 year old macbook pro graphics performing equally with mine. I know macs aren't primarlly for gaming, but overall its been running a lot slower lately and i'm not sure why. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? Thanks.

Additional details: 7200RPM HDD

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

maybe your harddrive is clugged? Maybe your hardware is broke? And maybe there's some errors on your hard drive. Open up "disk utility". Then check your hard drive for errors. It might help.

3. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

How much free HD space do you have? I try to keep about half of my internal drive empty.

You must be in an administrator account.

Steps to speed your machine:
    1.) Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility repair permissions and set show details to off
    2.) in your user folder/Library/Caches/ delete contents NOT the folder
    3.) Run cron task:
    a.) Go to Applications/Utilities/Terminal
    b.) After the prompt type exactly the following
    sudo periodic daily
    Then hit return a message will appear warning you about the sudo command and its dangers type your admin password in (you will see no evidence of your typing but don't worry it will work) and wait for the computer to finish. This will be indicated by the same prompt that you started from will appear.
    c.) Step and repeat (a,b) for the following commands:
    sudo periodic weekly
    sudo periodic monthly
    If done in close succession you probably will only have to type your password in once.
    When finished quit the terminal and disk utility and restart. Your computer should be faster.

Report back if no improvement.

Cheers

4. macmang thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried and noticed great improvement. Thank you very much.

5. DarkestWall macrumors newbie

Sorry to hijack the thread OP, but I am having some similar issues with my 15" i5 2.53 GHz MBP. It used to run online games just fine, but lately i've been having a ton of lag for online games and going to webpages takes longer than it used to.

I tried the above, but unfortunately it hasn't fixed the lag issue (tried the same game on a lenovo with an i3, so I don't think its my internet). Just looking for where to go next.