Sluggish system - or what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rasmusDoh, May 17, 2010.

1. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Hey

Have had a lot of problems with my 2 months old MBP, feeling that it's kinda sluggish.
    Because of these problems, a week ago i replaced my stock HDD with a 640 GB WD Scorpio Blue, did a clean install and installed everything all over. Still feels a bit slow though.
    I'm not sure if i'm just being too demanding since it's a brand new, expensive computer.

So i wanted to ask you how your computers perform in simple day-to-day tasks.

I've used Garageband as an example, since i guess most of you have that installed, and could try these things out on your machines, to help me determine if i have a problem:

1. I often, if not always, get the spinning beachball, when i launch not-light apps - fx. MS Excel or Garageband.
    Do you guys get that too (the beachball)?

2. Garageband takes 15+ sec. to launch (from click on icon till "New Project" pops up.
    How long do your computer take to launch it?

3. When quitting applications, this can sometimes also take a few seconds (not saving anything) and it feels slow.
    Do your computer act that way too?

4. Sometimes, when i'm writing a text, fx. in the Safari Google search box, the text "lags" - it doesn't appear right away, but 1-3 sec after i started writing it.
    Do your computer do that too sometimes?

5. Right before i posted this message, i was opening System Preferences (i only have 3 prefPanes besides from the standard ones). Even opening that very light app took a few seconds and gave me a beachball.
    Do you ever get beachballs from opening and working with such light applications?

Finally, please also post what computer you have and what OS you are running, so i can compare it to my own machine.

Thanks a lot in advance

Rasmus

2. macsar macrumors newbie

same

I used to had the white macbook
    2 weeks ago got i7 MBP
    I also feel its much slower than macbook I don't know where is the supposed 30% faster MBP is
    one of annoying thing is iphoto takes 20 seconds to open and pages or numbers the same
    my old macbook was much more faster than this
    I really don;t know if its general problem or not, but looking at the posts people saying their system are very fast

also I'm really annoyed by the hard drive sounds just like working on 1999 desktop
    I really started to believe that this MBP line is full of problems

3. mesq macrumors member

Hi - You might want to open up activity monitor, select all processes and see what process is taking up so much CPU. I had a similar problem and later found out I had a faulty logic board

4. macsar macrumors newbie

Hi mesq

Can u please tell me about this more, how can i know if i have faulty logic bord or not??

5. shadygrove macrumors regular

1. Try repairing your disk permissions with Disk Utility.

2. Backup and reinstall OSX. (Edit, I reread and saw you already did that. My suggestion is try to repartition and make more then one if you haven't. Other than that I don't know. Maybe check you memory check the pageins and pageouts. This will tell you if your computer is using your HD for memory a lot which is a common cause to the beach ball.)

3. Take it back and get a SSD. lol. A joke, but seriously I never get the beach ball with my SSD and Garage Band, iMovie, and iDvd (and any other app) all load at once on the first bounce.

6. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried that many times. Nothing's really eating up the CPU - and i still get beachballs!

How did you find out, that it was the logic board?

7. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

1. Did that

2. Have a page outs to page ins ratio of like 1-2% - so no problem there.

3. Yeah. I have really considered that. Have some questions though:

- When you say you never get the beachball - do you mean never? No 10+ sec freezes and no 1-2 sec "the mac is thinking" ones?

- Do you mean they take 1 bounce and then they're litterally open and good to go?
    Like when i open Excel, i does like 10 bounces, and even when it stops bouncing, the program itself isn't open and ready yet. That takes some extra time, so i'm not "good to go", when it stops bouncing.

- Do you have any problems having only 128 GB of internal capacity?

- How full is your SSD, and have you noticed slowdowns as it gets filled up?

- What SSD is it?

Thanks

8. mesq macrumors member

I talked to apple care and they told me to put the utilities Disc in the drive and restart the computer whilst holding command C or something - It did a hardware test which confirmed there was a hardware error which apple care told me was a logic board fault.

9. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

For the hardware test it's D you need to push while starting up.

10. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

Did you run the long test, or did the test notice the error using the short one?