Slugish Mac Pro please help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gloor, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi,

my mac pro became really slugish and I don't know why. I ran macscan and virus scan for mac from mcafee but it didn't find anything (well, 13 tracking cookies which i removed). I sometimes get lag before i can write in any field (like safari etc.). I have Early 2008 with 8gb ram and I've had this configuration since february. Internet is becoming really slow (usually, loads 75% and then it takes ages to load up the rest). Any idea what could be causing this strange behaviour? It really drives me crazy especially when I try to do simple task.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I would try running an Apple Hardware test to test the processors and the RAM. I would also run disk utility to see of any HDs you have in there might be failing and try a repair if it will let you. Lastly, before calling tech support, I'd do an Archive and Install of the system software. I hope this helps.

Good luck!

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

tried it all and got no errors so any other ideas? I also noticed that application run fine but the slugish think comes to when using safari or mozzilla. I checked my internet and it all seem to be ok. Very confusing :(

4. rtrt, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. tjames48 macrumors newbie

Same problem in the last week!

I have the same problem I use bootcamp and boot to vista 64 and I run Safari and Firefox and it just flies.It is so slow in Mac Os! I have the early 2008 Mac Pro and it is so slow with the internet now. Any Help Please.
    Tom W

6. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

yep, me 2. Windows XP under bootcamp works without any problem but OS X is acting strange.

I have istats and little snitch and I don't download anything. I'm on wireless with full signal and when i ping any address it gives me no errors what so ever (response time is around 85ms)

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

do the usual repair permissions and disk from the install disc.

then download and install Onyx and then run its Automation feature and reset your PRAM by holding "command-option-P-R" on startup until you here a second loud "DONG!".

8. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Use the Reset Safari feature. That might clean out some caches and speed things up. I also highly recommend Onyx which was mentioned above. I typically run the stuff in the Automation tab every couple of months or so.

9. belunos macrumors member

So this is just internet?

When i first switched to the Mac platform, I had the same problem where internet was slower. I'd try this:

http://howto.helpero.com/howto/Speed-Up-Firefox_31.html

The how to is for Windows version of Firefox, but it works on the mac version as well. It helped my speed out a great deal (I only did the pipelining portion)

10. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, here is an update:

i thought it could be my router so I went to apple store and bought time capsule as i was going to buy it soon anyway. the internet on pc in the next room and mac pro is smoking fast in windows but leopard is still slow. It kinda does this: put web address, bar load to 75% then it hangs there for about 10-15secs and then the page shows up immediately fully loaded. when its stuck on those 75% it shows blank page.

I tried the onyx, reset PRAM, reset in safari and mozilla, i tried creating different user, i tried disk utility, extensive apple hardware test, disk utility and all with perfect results. I would love to find the trouble, is there a command for console or anything that would show exact process i could post here for you guys so you could help me determine the problem? I would rather do this then spending whole day reinstalling the system with all applications i have here.

thanks

11. tjames48 macrumors newbie

Same problem as Gloor.

I basically did exactly as Gloor did and nothing changed at all. The only thing I could think that I did was the update to mac os x 10.5.5 about 10 days ago.

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What DNS server are you using?
    You might try these to speed up your connection:

They are from opendns.

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Just about to suggest the same, u rotter! :p

gauchogolfer's suggestion above is very likely the problem. The DNS server is responding slowly, switch to those from OpenDNS and the difference should be immediate.

14. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

I LOVE YOU!!!!! Omg, it is super fast now again!!! Thank you very much, what a fantastic tip and a time saver!
    I opened advanced settings on airport, added those 2 you said (i have 2 already there but they are grey so i can't remove them) and its super fast now.
    I hope I've done the right procedure. Let me know if I need to put it somewhere else. :))

Thank you

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Glad to hear that it helped you out.

16. tjames48 macrumors newbie

The dns numbers Solved the problem. Thank you so much!