Smack, crack paranoia in full force. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mchoffa, May 7, 2015.

1. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Hopefully it's not just me, but I've had my :apple:Watch a couple days and finding myself extremely paranoid about hitting it on things. I actually did smack it on the corner of my counter as I walked to the door yesterday and for a split second was scared. I'm finding myself thinking about where my wrist is in relation to everything else more and more now. I do have the sapphire screen, so not worried about scratches much, but feel like if you smacked it against something just right it would shatter. I do have AppleCare on it, but with the closest apple store being 2 hours from me, I'd have to have to use it.

2. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

3. wdfly macrumors regular

4. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I mean I kid a little. It doesn't keep me up at night but its such a lovely piece of technology and I would hate to break or damage it with my clumsiness or not watching where I am swinging my arm or something! :)

5. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I've bashed my sport a couple times now and not a scratch or crack, so I wouldn't worry about the sapphire.

6. mchoffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's just something I never thought about before. Haven't worn a watch in a long time, and when I did, they weren't very expensive.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Nah you would really have to use deliberate and heavy force to shatter the screen. My Burberry watch has a sapphire screen and I play soccer and snowboard with it. Cracked a few ribs by slamming into trees and rocks, but the watch was cool.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

[​IMG]

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The biggest damage a watch will take while strapped to your arm is from going through doors and hitting it against walls. At least that's my experience (and many others I know). I caught my old watch on door knobs and door jams all the time, and that definitely banged it up a bit. It's a watch, and this is just the kind of stuff that happens to watches unfortunately.

That being said, I refuse to put a case or a screen protector on a watch. That's just getting a little too nitpicky, and that's coming from me--a really nitpicky person when it comes to my Apple stuff.

Since mine took so long to arrive, I spent my wait time mentally preparing myself for the fact that this thing IS going to get damaged at some point, it's just a matter of time. The only thing that should matter is if it still works and still basically looks decent.

10. tomaustin44 macrumors regular

Don't take this the wrong way because I know what you mean but the title of this thread really makes you sound like a drug addict!

But yeh I'm constantly checking the screen.. Third party insurance is out now in the UK (protect your bubble £3.99 per month) so I'm investing in that.

11. mchoffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

exactly... I have a slim case on my 6+, but not for protection as much as grip (that thing is way too slippery for me) but there is no way I'm putting one on the watch. I can see a use case for a rugged case if you work in a manual labor field or play hard sport, but otherwise, no way. It just looks too nice to cover in a hideous case.

----------

I'd only worry with this watch because of the rounded corners. Most sapphire on watches don't have that, and a rounded edge is the weakest part of any screen.

----------

Ha! Didn't even think of that! All in the context, right?

12. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Not going to lie. When I originally read the post title I was like "Smack?! Crack?!" WTH.

13. LLeyba macrumors newbie

LLeyba

Today is day 2 of my ownership, 42 SS BSB. At lunch today I smacked my watch, square on, face first, directly into the sharp, hard corner of our granite tiled, kitchen countertop.

First, my heart stopped.

Then I looked down, saw some chips of "stuff" on the glass face. Panic set in immediately.

I wiped the face carefully with a soft, lint free towel - and guess what???

Not a single scratch or mark. I am beyond pleased with the quality of the SS watch face. Please don't try this at home, however, it is possible results may vary. :D

14. jjlannoo Suspended

While this one is pretty large. I have never shattered a Sapphire Crystal and have worn watches forever. I'm not careful at all. I often end up wacking my watches good.