"smackbook" ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sceneshifter, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hello,

I'm completely new to mac and have been browsing youtube a little concerning the OS switching (some of my apps only run on windows). now, there is this thing where people 'smack' their macbook and it switches kinda 3D-cube-ish to another desktop. Really nice, and I found it was called virtue desktops. Unfortunately when I go to that site it says the software has been abandoned so will not receive future updates.

Playing around with Berlyn I'm kinda fond of the 3D tabbing, it's just a load of fun. Is there anything stable and constantly updated ahead for Leopard? I work almost entirely with apps, no games etc..., so I like it when the desktop is a little 'interactive'.

If it exists, a small short howto would be more then welcome!

THANKS!

Ps: I saw 'smackbook' working with the sensor on MBPRO, anyone know if there is a software that fits the above profile that allows me to do that?

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Most people abandoned it after talks that smacking your computer around was dangerous to your hard drive. Whispers of the warranty being voided came about also. It was cool for about a week. I wouldn't recommend pursuing it m8.

3. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Virtual desktops are built into Leopard ("Spaces"). I imagine someone will write a plugin to allow input from the motion sensor.

4. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

nono, but I don't want the smacking thing. I saw one video where they did it while hovering your hand over the sensor from the MBP, so no smacking involved.

Second, and main question was basicaly if there are any 'hacks' or whatever they're called, to make beryl type of desktop switches, it's just too damn pretty :)

Thanks!

5. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Odds are pretty good that they will be built into Spaces (fast user-switching already does them).

6. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I'm fairly certain the 3D desktop switching was a feature of even Panther, never mind waiting to leopard. I have never used it, but I may try it now that some inquiry has gone into it.

I know my iBook G3 has no motion sensor, but the graphical showing would still be attractive.

7. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

ok, so 10.3 does have the Fast User Switching, which is the cube-like desktop switch you're talking of.

All you need to do is create and additional, non-passworded account, click on the name in the corner to select it, and watch the 3D magic.

8. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

The problem is, this is different accounts, not the multiple desktop sessions I believe the OP is referring to. With your solution, you would have to juggle multiple home folders.

9. warfa macrumors regular

just install virtualDesktop and then smackbook 1.1 it works very nicely! i'm using it right now.

10. mgmktx macrumors member

Doesn't VirtualDesktop have the waving/smacking action built into the actual program now?

11. warfa macrumors regular

no, you have to install this app along with it then you can set it up at VD's prefs
    http://blog.medallia.com/2006/06/shadowbook.html