Smal water spill, help please (:

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Omershatz, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Omershatz macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    My macbook is a mid 2008 aluminum unibody (looks like a mbp, no backlight and it says mb instead of mbp) two nights ago i spilled water on it (clean pure not tap water). I immediately disconnected the charger and flipped it over (macbook still running) i rubbed all the visible water off with a napkin, by the way, it seemed like a small spill (roughly 20-40 ml if i had to guess) anyway, turned the macbook over again, was glad to see everything running perfectly. All keys, all sound, everything. Connected back to power, mac kept running flawlessly. Later i read a bit on the internet and saw it was advised to turn it completely off qnd leave it upside down for some time to let the water drain out. So i did for around 22-24 hours but then i went to power it back on but the power on/off button wont respond at all, charger works, battery is full, bright green light from magsafe adapter as before spill. What might be the issue? Maybe the keyboard shorted out? Or the power suPply? What are the chances the logic board fried while the macbook was completely off?

Thanks in advance, Omer.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The issue is that you didn't turn it off right away. Anything could have shorted... the power button itself or some of the wiring in the top case (fairly likely), something on the logic board itself, who knows? The only way is to take it somewhere where they can determine exactly what's wrong with it, such as an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Repair Center.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

as the poster above had pointed out, the best thing to do is to shut it down right away if it is on during the spill. anything could be damaged and that possibility is increased by leaving it on and letting it run with liquid spilled on it. it could have hit and damaged anything inside and you should have it looked at asap if it's not responding like you said. good luck to you and i hope it works out in your favor.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

yeah you probably fried something important :(

take it to the apple store and see what they can do

5. Omershatz thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! I have to say thank you so much for the quick replies! Im actually quite amazed, thanks again.
    Now, tomorrow im taking it to a apple certified repair lab (israel) no apple care.
    How much do you think it would cost to have my machine up and runnning again?
    Oh, and what do you think most likely fried? The power supply? Keyboard? Logic board?

Thabks in advance, Omer.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it's hard to say exactly what is damaged - that's what the tech is for. however, fixes such as logic board replacements have been known to cost a lot, and if it's not covered and you end up having to pay for that as well as the other parts you mentioned, it's going to be a lot of money i'm sorry to say.

7. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Haha, yeah, logic board replacements are scary expensive, might end up just buying a new laptop.

8. Omershatz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, i got it 2nd hand for around 800$, which is extremely cheap for a macbook in Israel, so i dont mind spending sone more money on it. Plus the lab i mentioned earlier states on their website they can fix faulty logic boards instead of replacing them.
    Is there aby wayto know if the problem is indeed the logic board?
    What are the signs of a dead logic board compqred to the signa of say, a dead keyboard or power supply?

Thanks again for the quick replies, much love on this forum :)

9. tug macrumors 6502

hope its not too expensive for you, but you can rest easy knowing that even if you had apple care, water spills are not covered. good luck on the repair. :eek:

10. Omershatz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, sent it today to that lab. They said worst case scenario it should cost around 400$, the good scenario is 200$. So that's not too bad.
    Ill keep this thread posted on price and details.
    Thanks a lot!

11. Omershatz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, apparenty some things in the logic board fried, fixing that is 250$
    And the tech said the keyboard fried too. Should i take his word for it? He said the keyboard would he another 250$ is it worth it? How hard would it be ordering a keyboard online and installin it myself?

Thanks in advance, Omer

12. Omershatz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, for 450$ i got my macbook back.
    Thanks to the forum for the support, btw- they put in a new macbook pro top case so i have a backlit keyboard now :)

13. iLovemusic! macrumors newbie

Help

help me please.
    im a user if the macbook polycarbonate unibody, 2009 i believe.
    I had an accident and pilled pure water on my macbook's keyboard.
    i immediately wiped all the water that was spilled on the keyboard and turned it upside down. I waited for a minute or two. The laptop was still running because i had to finish an important task. After i finished my work, i searched a bit in the net for the situation. I panicked. I turned the compuyer off for about 4 hours and then turned it back on. everything seemed ok. i even watched a movie. Today i turned it on in the morning and it was fine but after a minute or two it turned on by it self. Im afraid to turn it on again.

i took of the bottom cover part and left it to dry. What should i do. Please help. I dont have an apple repairing service in my area