Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookproi7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
Hi,
The other night my parents were over and while having a beer with my dad he spilt a bit onto my Macbook Pro sitting on the coffee table. After swearing loudly I quickly shut it dow, and put it open face down on a towel to try and soak up anything it could and reduce the amount leaking into the internals.

It didn't seem like much but since then over the past week my computer has suddenly turned off, as if going to sleep and I had to hold down the power button to get it to shut down, it then restarted without problems. It is past the 1 year warranty and I didn't get extra warranty, and my last Macbook Pro was damaged beyond repair in a similar accident and claimed on house content insurance so doing that again is NOT any option if there is a problem.
The local shop charges a lot to even look at the computer, and I figure all they're going to do is test it and tell me it is fine because like I said it has only showed problems twice, but that's two more then any time before the incident. I am not an expert but have poked around inside a few computers/laptops before but wondering if I was to take it apart and try and clean it or look for damage what would be the appropriate things to do? Obviously it doesn't need drying because it happened a week ago but is there any tests I can do to make sure all connections are fine?
cheers,

----------

I wish I COULD claim it on insurance or sell it as working but possibly problematic, because I really want to upgrade to a Mac Pro to start recording music.
But... stuff happens then we die. suppose

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
You have two problems. The first, is that you got the keyboard and the laptop wet. As soon as it got wet coming should've shut it off, like you did, but put it in a bowl of rice. Simply putting it inside but I will really do anything, as a towel only soak up the water that's on the surface, and not inside the computer doing damage.

Secondly, you probably turn the computer on and started using it way too early and still have moisture inside of the machine. Moisture can stay inside of the machine for days on end and as soon as you turn it on, if there's any water in the machine it will mess up your system. That's why you have random shutdowns now.

Stop using it and stick I in some rice. Then take it to a shop and have them open and look at it. You're probably going to have to shell out some cash though.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
Hi,
The other night my parents were over and while having a beer with my dad he spilt a bit onto my Macbook Pro sitting on the coffee table. After swearing loudly I quickly shut it dow, and put it open face down on a towel to try and soak up anything it could and reduce the amount leaking into the internals.

It didn't seem like much but since then over the past week my computer has suddenly turned off, as if going to sleep and I had to hold down the power button to get it to shut down, it then restarted without problems. It is past the 1 year warranty and I didn't get extra warranty, and my last Macbook Pro was damaged beyond repair in a similar accident and claimed on house content insurance so doing that again is NOT any option if there is a problem.
The local shop charges a lot to even look at the computer, and I figure all they're going to do is test it and tell me it is fine because like I said it has only showed problems twice, but that's two more then any time before the incident. I am not an expert but have poked around inside a few computers/laptops before but wondering if I was to take it apart and try and clean it or look for damage what would be the appropriate things to do? Obviously it doesn't need drying because it happened a week ago but is there any tests I can do to make sure all connections are fine?
cheers,

----------

I wish I COULD claim it on insurance or sell it as working but possibly problematic, because I really want to upgrade to a Mac Pro to start recording music.
But... stuff happens then we die. suppose

u didnt use common sense

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Unfortunately, you turned it on without making sure it had enough time to dry. As Young Spade said, moisture can easily get trapped inside and stay there for quite some time. With moisture damage, it can take time for problems to show up. Even if you had gotten the extended warranty, it wouldn't matter. As soon as Apple finds out that there was liquid damage, it voids your warranty anyways, because any problems from that point on could have been caused by the liquid damage.

Beer is a nasty substance to get inside a computer. It has sugars and it will be corrosive. I know there's a few people here on the forums that have instructions for how to clean the inside of the MBP to remove sticky/corrosive substances. You could try searching for instructions online if you want. Otherwise I'd take it in to get looked at, but don't be surprised if it's a very expensive bill. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.