Small annoyance in clamshell mode with 2016 MBP-TB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphoneuserinyyz, Nov 20, 2016.

1. iphoneuserinyyz macrumors member

Enjoying my 2016 MBP-TB so far. However, there is one thing I find a little annoying. At home, I use my machine in clamshell mode connected to my Thunderbolt Display (using the TB3-TB2 dongle from Apple). When I wake up the machine using the keyboard attached to the Thunderbolt Display, no password field shows up under my user name (on my old machine, there would be a password field there, and the cursor would already be in the field, ready to accept my typing). I have to click several times on my user name to get the password field to show up. I believe this is occurring because the MBP is awaiting my fingerprint on the TouchID sensor (which is tucked inside the closed machine). It is not really a big deal, just adds a couple of seconds to each login. But it would be cool if the MBP somehow detected that it was in clamshell mode and offered the password field on the login screen as a result.

2. killawat macrumors 65816

Just start typing your password in, it'll accept the characters.

3. iphoneuserinyyz thread starter macrumors member

That is handy. Thanks! Annoyance solved...

4. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

Or use Apple Watch to unlock your MacBook

5. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

Thanks! Why there is no word about this on any website?

6. TheFertileOctogenarian macrumors newbie

One unrelated question - seems to be the case from your post, but your new 2016 MBP works perfectly, aside from this issue, with your Thunderbolt display? Just want to confirm bc I have a TB display myself and am considering a new MBP.

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I'm okay with this behavior.

8. gr2020 macrumors member

I don't think it's related to the MBP - I have a 5k iMac that does the same thing. And the solution is the same, just start typing the password.

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Yes. I also have a 27" Apple Thunderbolt display and the 13" non-touchbar MBP. I can confirm the Apple TB2-TB3 adapter works perfectly with the Thunderbolt Display, though doesn't work to output mDP video to non-Thunderbolt displays.

Video on the TB display works; I haven't yet plugged anything in to the ports (USB, ethernet) on the back of the display but I don't see why they would also work (but not confirmed). I didn't think to check the Apple System Profiler to make sure they showed up properly but I fully expect them to work.

The Thunderbolt Display, however, cannot charge the new MBPs, so stuck for the time being with a second power cable.

10. iphoneuserinyyz thread starter macrumors member

Yes - everything seems to work just fine with the Thunderbolt Display connected using the TB3-TB2 dongle. I have a bunch of things connected to the display (USB hub, USB Apple keyboard, Ethernet, USB scanner, USB dongle for Logitech mouse) and everything works. Only issue is that I need to plug in the MBP using its own charger, as MagSafe doesn't connect obviously.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks! I was having this issue with the same setup as OP and this works perfectly I have been mouse clicking around like an angry chimp. :)

12. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

I use this for the magsafe, only issue i am having is output power, it is limited to 45Watt, regardless I am ok with that!

https://www.amazon.com/HIOTECH-MagSafe-Adapter-Converter-Connector/dp/B0167WMHP0

13. iphoneuserinyyz thread starter macrumors member

14. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

I got the AppleCare, and I do not think frying your ports would be this easy... but this is just a thought :)