Small Annoyance with Hidden Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by balofagus, Jul 20, 2007.

1. balofagus macrumors regular

So, on my desktop I have my HDD's as well as folders for important projects (so that I can be reminded of them constantly :rolleyes:). The problem is that I have the little "Show item info" option enabled so I can tell the remaining space of my drives primarily. On my project folders, it shows one more item than is actually in the folder. I used the terminal to show that it was a .DS_Store. Is there any way to make OS X ignore so it only shows my files in the folder. Otherwise, is there any way to get rid of the .DS_Store?

Thanks for your help! Time for bed!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There are ways to get rid of .DS_Store files, but it's messy and not advisable. However, these files shouldn't be showing up in the items count on your Desktop unless they're not hidden. Are they still affecting the count when you hide them again?

3. balofagus thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, that why I revealed them. I wasn't sure what the problem was but the only 4 items in the folder are three of my documents plus the .DS_Store. They are hidden again now though.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The item count only updates each time you log in or restart Finder. With the .DS_Store file hidden, restart Finder and see if the count is more accurate this time. :)

5. balofagus thread starter macrumors regular

No difference. However, when I open the folder the item count at the bottom of the Finder window shows three items...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So the folders on the desktop... are they links to folders elsewhere, or are they the actual folders themselves? If they're links, where are the originals located -- on the internal MacHFS+ HD, or on an external HD that's FAT32 or something else?

For what it's worth, I just double-checked, and (real, not symbolic) folders on my desktop do not count the .ds_store file in their number of files, nor do they count any other dot files (I created a .test text file to test this).

7. balofagus thread starter macrumors regular

They are actual physical folders on the desktop. I've attached a screenshot to show what is happening. (The icons and text aren't normally that big, just to show up better in the pic)

Added screenshot of hidden files shown.

Attached Files:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, thanks, that helps. I was wondering if this had to do with the folder being on a FAT partition... clearly not an issue.

Well, I can start by confirming that in the exact same situation, I do not have the same behavior.

[​IMG]

9. balofagus thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I was working on some of the documents in the Folder and have just noticed that the item count is down to three. So I guess thats problem solved...:confused: