Small artifacting on New used Macbook 9,2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comda, Nov 11, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

greetings

I need some help. Last night i purchased a nicely used Macbook Pro 9,2. Its got the dual i7, 8gb Ram(which geeksquad put in ew) and the 1tb drive. I took the guy to the Apple store to make sure everything was alright. Apple said everything was a pass, aside from the RAM's manufacturer wasnt noted. So i took it home, put my SSD in it, installed EL capitan and everything went smoothly.

Today i booted it up, and upon watching a youtube video the top of the screen began to artifact then disappeared. I rebooted the machine, did a PRAM reset and booted back into oSX. within seconds the bottom of the screen began to artifact too!

ANy suggestions are helpful as i dropped a lot on this used machine and within a day its doing this. Not a good start!

2. T5BRICK, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd suspect the 3rd party RAM, re-seat it and replace if needed. If that doesn't fix it, the logic board may need to be replaced.

You could try running Apple Hardware test to identify any problems, but I'm guessing Apple ran it or something similar and didn't find any issues.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

3. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

i replaced the third party RAM with RAM that came out of another macbook pro that i know works. Still the issue persisted but i noticed it was only on youtube. i looked at the temps and they seemed pretty high. GPU around 85 when it started to artifact. Took it back to apple. Disappointed that they told me it was an ok machine so i bought it. now it has issues. Apple has the machine since last night 7Pm. Hopefully they figure out whats wrong. If its a mainboard, i want a refund.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It may have passed their diagnostic tests just fine. I don't typically have a problem buying used, but computers I usually go with new or refurbished so I have warranty.

5. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

i see. Well its still there and i told them to not call until im done in class. but once im done ill head over and see it. Just kinda disappointed. Hopefully the seller will offere me a refund if worst comes to worst.

6. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Well just as an update. Board was replaced, issue persists. New OS, New RAM, different HDD issues persist. Today they replacing the board. AGIAN. hopefully this solves it.