small bump on back of case on new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fivemagics75, Jan 29, 2014.

1. fivemagics75, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

fivemagics75 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I noticed there is a small pushed in bump on the back of the case of the rMBP that I received.
    It's hard to photograph but you can definetely see it and you can feel the bump when passing your fingers over it.
    I have seen this on two other units that I had shipped...
    Is this normal? Have others here seen this defect ? Or should I request an exchange.

Here is a photo of the bump on the back :

[​IMG]

Regards

2. toneLA2 macrumors member

Hi there,

To answer your question, no, this isn't normal. That's a cosmetic defect as the dent doesn't serve any purpose other than to annoy a new owner.
    On a machine with such price tag, it should pretty much be flawless. I'd look into getting it exchanged if within the 14 days or have the bottom plate replaced by a genius bar tech.

Hope this helps!

3. fivemagics75 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is my 5th unit, and 3 of them had a similar bump !
    Has enyone else had this problem on units coming from the european apple store ? This really sucks !

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

How are you on a 5th one? How did you possibly get 4 bad ones in a row?

If you have seen the same defect on other models, it is clear that there was a manufacturing issue going on and the chances of subsequent ones will also exhibit the same issue.

If it was your first one and you see something like that, it would be okay to request an exchange, but if you are on your 5th (!) one, the chances are becoming greater for you to get one that may have a serious manufacturing defect that will prevent the machine from working properly. This seems merely a cosmetic issue.

If you like the computer (performance, battery life, operation) I would, without a doubt, keep it and use it. Look at it this way - the first scratch is always the worst one. Now you don't have to deal with that.

5. fivemagics75 thread starter macrumors newbie

2 of them ahd a screen issue (uneaven lighting). And 3 of them had a bump issue on the back.
    Read around on this forum, people have encoutered similar crap with their purchases.
    Anyways that dent really sucks.

6. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I'm sure it is not desirable, but statistic wise you don't seem to be having too good of odds getting one to your liking. Apple has been known to question multiple returns from customers if you make too many returns. I would try to make a decision before it gets to that, as you nor Apple would be very happy.

7. Widhill macrumors newbie

Had three tries at getting a good maxed out 15" rmbp before getting the one I have now. Number two had exactly the same thing. I worked it out that it was the UK plug socket that is packed right under where the small dent was. As I was in my return period Apple sent me the last and -finally perfect - unit. The Applecare person didn't seem that surprised!

Get it replaced! (and good luck)!

8. paularas macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

same dent here. because i am a citizen of greece which does not have an official apple store but only apr (apple premium reseller), apple uk told me that cannot replace it because it is only aesthetic / cosmetic issue and does not interfere with the operation of my machine... so... only 66e new lower chassis from ebay (oem)

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

10. paularas macrumors newbie

it's not that big. i have magnified it like 300% in order to be like that visible. actually i "felt" it below my macbook on the first day and found it after 2 days of searching for it.

so the question is. keep it like that? (it's like the 1/3 of the rubber feet of the macbook) since it's not even visible from the below?

keep it like that?
    pay like 135€ to the local apr for a new one
    order one for 65€ from ebay

11. fivemagics75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I still find it unbelievable that I got 3 blemished ones out of 5 !!!

12. Rohirm macrumors member

I got my maxed out 15" rMBP this week and it has the same kind of dent.
    They agreed to replace the back cover to a new one next week.

[​IMG]

13. paularas macrumors newbie

you talked to them over the phone or you went to a genius bar regarding your dent? Cause they refused me even in the apple call center to make any change to my bottom case of my macbook

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've seen a few of these threads now, it seems odd that this occurring, I wonder if how they assemble or ship the MBPs.

15. Rohirm macrumors member

By email. It is an Apple Premium Reseller store where it was bought.

16. Rohirm macrumors member

I think it is how they assemble it, because the package was intact.

17. paularas macrumors newbie

rohirm is it possible to copy paste the talk that you had via email cause i bought it also from an apr (apple premium resseler) and they refused to do it since it's and aisthetic issue

18. fivemagics75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I exhanged mine for a dent free one !
    I wonder what's causing this recurrent defect. Maybe the charger banging against the backplate in the case ?