Small business accounting software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by d0ster, Nov 24, 2011.

1. d0ster macrumors regular

Hey everyone. I was just looking for some recommendations on good accounting software for a small business. Reports, inventory control, invoicing will be a must. No need for payroll or time tracking.
    I've read some reviews for the "industry standard" Quickbooks Mac version and they weren't so great in the sense of functionality compared to the Windows version. I've also looked into Quickbooks Online but I would prefer something local on Mac.
    As of now I'm contemplating running the Windows version of Quickbooks thru Fusion but would like to know if theres anything else out there? Thanks

2. thankins macrumors 6502

Its not a Mac based one so to speak but have you looked into freshbooks.com - web based alternative to QB

3. Learch macrumors newbie

D0ster; there is a cloud based computing version of QuickBooks available that I am using with great success. I run QuickBooks on my macbook and ipad. it's from a company called Packet Service. I'm not sure if this is what your looking for but I really like being able to use QuickBooks on my mac without having to run an emulator or dual boot. Drop me an email if you want to talk about it.

4. Koll macrumors member

Have a look at Hansaworld products. They are serious systems and not expenses. I'm using Standard Accounts UK. But to include inventory, I think you need another product/version? I am delighted with both the software and support. Miles ahead of anything I have used on a Mac before, and that's quite a lot.

5. d0ster thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out

6. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

While your at it, check out AccountEdge....I went from QB's to AccountEdge and found it to be an excellent program with good Mac support.....

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I run quickbooks through fusion, and I'm content with that setup given the flexibility and options QB provides

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

I also use AE, and find it easy to use... As well as a very powerful system. They advertise that they will send a free copy to your accountant so that they can open your files directly.

You should probably state what country you are in since different countries have different accounting packages.

9. d0ster thread starter macrumors regular

I am in the US. Sorry should of specified, Learch's recommendation is only available in Canada.

As for AccountEdge, the software seems pretty good, I'm just concerned about the "industry standard" that is Quickbooks. Apparently Quickbooks for Mac lacks features that are only in the Windows version. Also, some information will not transfer over if a CPA uses the Windows version and I use the Mac. maflynn suggestion to run Fusion is a viable option at this point.
    I know Quickbooks Online is another option but I do prefer something local on my machine rather than something in the cloud. Uptime for me is critical, for any services I use.

ArchiMark, snberk103, how was your experience with your CPA's using AccountEdge? Thanks again everyone for your input.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

My CPA doesn't bother running AE, I export the reports into a CSV file and they take it from there. But check with your CPA, they probably should have some input too.

Luck

11. fusionconfused macrumors newbie

AccountEdge vs Quickbooks

I have been using QB on my Mac since 2009 with VM Fusion as my virtual machine. Up until this year I have been very satisfied with running Windows on my Mac. This year my windows side of my Mac has crashed 4 times. Enough, I am done and crashing it for good myself. I will change to AccountEdge for Mac. AccountEdge looks to be a good program and I can not wait to only use Mac based programs:)