Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielpicasso

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NJ
Please give me good council on the following:
My question is this. I am a PC user on XP and close to deciding to go with an iMac. I do not care about games and use the PC 90 % for my Business ( with personal use of Ipod-family photos).
I have to use MS ie 7 to access a web based business application that I use for my recruiting busines for email & where all my clients and candidates are stored.
I decided to use Fusion, XP home edition on the Mac.
My typical day for my business involves receiving resumes all day in MS Word and other client docs in word, convert docs I create to PDF's to send to clients with the accation brochures also created in Word. My business in simple.
Is the idea to run my busines on the Mac in this configuration 100% reliable? From what I have read on this forum, it seems reliable to run fusion with XP on the Mac. If it wasnt for the need to access iE 7, it would be 100% Mac without Fusion but thats not possible, no good recruiting software has been developed for the Mac. Your thoughts?
Thanx............

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
No problems running Fusion and XP for the tasks you are doing
I would also set up BootCamp too, for the flexibility

But you will easily be able to do this with Fusion/XP

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

danielpicasso

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NJ
Thanx....

Thank you.

No problems running Fusion and XP for the tasks you are doing
I would also set up BootCamp too, for the flexibility

But you will easily be able to do this with Fusion/XP

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have to use MS ie 7 to access a web based business application that I use for my recruiting busines for email & where all my clients and candidates are stored.
I decided to use Fusion, XP home edition on the Mac. .

XP runs well inside Fusion. But remember that yuo will need enough RAM to run both OSes at the same time. 3Gb is enough but with today's prices get 4GB.

Make a shared folder. Shared between the Mac and the virtual XP machine then you drop the data from the web there and the Mac can see it. You can use the Mac versions of MS Office to open documents. You may not need XP versions of Office

danielpicasso

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NJ
XP runs well inside Fusion. But remember that yuo will need enough RAM to run both OSes at the same time. 3Gb is enough but with today's prices get 4GB.

Make a shared folder. Shared between the Mac and the virtual XP machine then you drop the data from the web there and the Mac can see it. You can use the Mac versions of MS Office to open documents. You may not need XP versions of Office

Thank you and your advice is right on. The config I was thinking about had 4 GB Ram & I did not mention it but I would have a Norton or some kind of virus software within Fusion. My only uncertainty is MS Office on the Mac side. Seems that the users feed back is not great on MS for Mac and I am unclear if its true or not. But to your point I will run MS Office XP within Fusion.
Thanx again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.