Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
something that annoys me and puts me off choosing certain complications is how the phone displays them when theres nothing to say. it often looks like the phone is broke.

examples: Calendar when theres nothing coming up 'NONE' followed by the calendar symbol or on longer ones 'NO MORE EVENTS'

Messages 'NO NEW MESSAGES'

Music, i cant remember what it says as i now have something paused but its something like 'NOTHING SELECTED'

Outlook 'NO UPCOMING EVENTS'

Reminders 'NO REMINDERS DUE'

okay im not fussed about Stocks 'NO STOCKS'

ideally they should either think of something smart to come up, or it shouldn't show anything maybe just the app symbol.

co1f

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
something that annoys me and puts me off choosing certain complications is how the phone displays them when theres nothing to say. it often looks like the phone is broke.

examples: Calendar when theres nothing coming up 'NONE' followed by the calendar symbol or on longer ones 'NO MORE EVENTS'

Messages 'NO NEW MESSAGES'

Music, i cant remember what it says as i now have something paused but its something like 'NOTHING SELECTED'

Outlook 'NO UPCOMING EVENTS'

Reminders 'NO REMINDERS DUE'

okay im not fussed about Stocks 'NO STOCKS'

ideally they should either think of something smart to come up, or it shouldn't show anything maybe just the app symbol.

It would confuse people more to have it say nothing. Do you have ideas on something more “smart” to say?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
It would confuse people more to have it say nothing. Do you have ideas on something more “smart” to say?

But it’s ugly. Well that’s just my view. I wouldn’t use any complication which will come up like that which is a shame as it would be useful to be reminded of things

Certainly the easiest thing would be to just put an icon. Even the name of the app would be better. Eg say REMINDERS instead of NO REMINDERS DUE or MESSAGES rather than NO NEW MESSAGES.

But I wouldn’t be confused to have it blank. Or have it fall back to the weather. or cycle a list of things that you could choose. So weather to battery to news headlines and then when you have a reminder or whatever you have chosen then it kicks in.

I doubt that Steve Jobs would have allowed it as it’s very un apple

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
But it’s ugly. Well that’s just my view. I wouldn’t use any complication which will come up like that which is a shame as it would be useful to be reminded of things

Certainly the easiest thing would be to just put an icon. Even the name of the app would be better. Eg say REMINDERS instead of NO REMINDERS DUE or MESSAGES rather than NO NEW MESSAGES.

But I wouldn’t be confused to have it blank. Or have it fall back to the weather. or cycle a list of things that you could choose. So weather to battery to news headlines and then when you have a reminder or whatever you have chosen then it kicks in.

Oh boy, the whole Steve Jobs story again :rolleyes:

Reactions: co1f and ohio.emt

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
The watch is supposed to show these ‘no...’ because if it wouldn’t it would be inconsistent. That would be a rotten apple.

co1f

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014

That’s pretty much industry best-practice to do that (something to say no data).

Does it happen a lot on these forums that people write sj would’ve done this or wouldn’t have done that?!?
I doubt if you worked with/for sj for 10 years if you could confidently say what he would or wouldn’t have approved of in this case.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
guess its just me and everyone else is happy with NO DATA but I really do think its ugly, just imho, and not used to apple products looking ugly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.