Small, cheap camcorder for filming surfing.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TheEpicFilmCo, Jan 2, 2009.

1. TheEpicFilmCo macrumors regular

Hello.

I am in the market for a small solid state camcorder. I will be taking it out on the water with me on my surfboard so it needs to be waterproof or compatible with some kind of waterproof case. Because of the pressure from the waves, the case or camera must be waterproof to up to about 10 meters.

My budget is about £200, but any recommendations you have please tell me.

I have a Canon HF10 and if there are any compatible waterproof cases for that then that would be very good.

I also have a Canon 860is digital camera as well which takes okay video. Would it be worth investing in a waterproof case for that? How would video from a Flip Mino for example compare?

Thanks in advance.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I see that this is your first post here at MacRumors and would like to be the first to welcome you. I hope we can help you find a camera and fix any problems you may have.
    Here is a camera that is waterproof up to 10'. I know that's not a lot and I'm no surfer but I think that it should be okay for surfing. Here is a thread that I participated in that was about the ATC3K. It doesn't record in HD. I know there is waterproof cases for the Flip cameras which they have a model that records in HD. The HD model I think is $220. The waterproof cases are probably like 40 bucks. I haven't seen a waterproof case for your Canon though. BTW, do you use Motion, After Effects or something else to do the Mr. Peanut vids?

Regards,
    David

3. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

So the Flip case is waterproof to 30 feet (9.1 meters) and it's only $50 (£36). £136 seems a bit pricy to me. The Flip has internal memory in each camera that holds about 60 minutes of video and can record to an SD card. The Flip Ultra and Flip Video both come with the Underwater case but no power adapter. I would suggest the Flip Mino, Mino HD or Flip Ultra. Take a look at the specs. I think that if you want a new camera the Flips are a good choice.

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I don't think his budget allows a $850 (£613) camera case.;)

6. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

7. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I understand that. ;) If you read his first post though (see below) I just gave what he wanted. ;)

8. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

No worries. :) I respect your experience and wisdom, I'll have some questions for you too - soon. ;)

9. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

I would quite like a screen so the specially built "surf cameras" with no screen are out of the equation. I would not trust my camcorder in a case I built myself really so that option is gone too. That leaves me with 2 options left-

Buy a waterproof case for my current digital camerawhich records okay video

or

Buy a Flip camcorder with a waterproof case.

Does anyone know which option would give me the best quality?
    Thank you very much.